Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: It's now official. I am addicted to S T E A K  (Read 3193 times)

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
Re: It's now official. I am addicted to S T E A K
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 04:03:18 PM »
Man that looks awesome! What's the cook time on sliced potatoes in the skillet like that?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 06:11:27 PM »
As always Matt, looking great!

Man that looks awesome! What's the cook time on sliced potatoes in the skillet like that?

For those I start poking them with a toothpick at around 30 mins to check. They can get burnt on the bottom if done direct, but you'll maybe have to turn the dish if cooked indirect. As 604's prep photo shows, go generous with the butter (and garlic ...)
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

3sSecurity

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:47 PM »
Cool thanks. Definitely going to give those a try soon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 06:19:01 AM »
That's a meal to be proud of...perfect in all ways
WTB: Genesis Jr.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 09:05:45 AM »
Thanks all!

@MacEggs
@3sSecurity

Mine seem to take substantially longer than that Mac but I didn't cook them direct the whole way. I usually put it directly over the coals when first placing it on the grill for maybe 7 minutes and will let it sit there until the butter melts and starts to boil a bit in the bottom. Once that starts up I slide them off to indirect and let them roll for probably close to an hour. After they pass the toothpick test I mix them up a bit, season with some smoked sea salt, then add the cheese to the top and place it back over the coals until its nice and melted. Potato slices were about 1/4" thick and Oh So Good ;D
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

SixZeroFour

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 11:05:26 AM »
lol WOW. I clearly was asleep at the keyboard here! I completely tagged and NAMED! The wrong person. I should have tagged Mr @addicted-to-smoke !! Mac and I were talking the other night after he had just made the exact same dish so my brain apparently defaulted back to Mac when I saw ATS' advice... :o :o

Sorry fella's!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 11:40:29 AM by SixZeroFour »

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 02:32:43 PM »
Actually this is hilarious; @SixZeroFour you were functionally correct! Why? Because whenever I forget about these I wind up searching for them and seeing one of Mac's cooks for them that inspires me yet again :)

Doing them tonight again (with a twist or two ...) on account of finding a bag of older potatoes in the pantry that needed to be cooked or tossed soon!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 04:53:11 PM »
Speaking of which, ran into a snag tonight. My utility player, a 18.5" daisy wheeler, threw me a curve ball tonight.

I had cranked it up early to clean off two cooking grates. As things settled down it was still hot so when the time came I put the potatoes on.

Black pepper, Charlie's Choice, butter, about 4 cloves of fresh pressed garlic:

Well, the 18 was too hot ... it looked like a volcano, and unfortunately, when I cleared out the middle area I realized most of it had fallen below the charcoal grate, which meant my vents were now clogged. Couldn't find a suitable stick to clear them from underneath. Bad news!

So BEFORE I put the taters on I closed down the vents. A lot. "Oops."

Fire all but died, so I lost 30 mins while the potatoes coasted on little heat. Total rookie mistake: putting food on before temp and conditions were stable. Shoulda pulled both grates off and fixed it.

But now .... I added charcoal on top and made a cone shape. A few minutes later they were lit. I transferred about half to the 22 that was finishing a rotisserie chicken. That kettle had lost about 50 degrees F. over the course of an hour. The potatoes had a decent 30 mins of cooking on the 18, more or less but it wasn't enough and dinner was already late.

They wound up good ...

But had to finish them inside. :(

SixZeroFour

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
taters look like they turned out great... wishing I had a plateful right now :)