Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron sub forum  (Read 5954 times)

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
Re: Cast iron sub forum
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 11:39:23 PM »
Do you guys get three legged cast iron pots over seas. In South Africa we call them potjie pots.
I own two number two pots. Makes awesome stews. 

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 04:11:25 AM »
... I just thought it would be nice if all the info was posted together. ...

Here's my suggestion for situations like this. The search here is pretty good. Read some background info there about CI, much of which contains suggestions about how to use/maintain/restore CI. Then, go and try it yourself. And then feel free to start a new thread along the lines of, "I've tried X, Y and Z already but have this question ..."
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 04:15:56 AM »
Do you guys get three legged cast iron pots over seas. In South Africa we call them potjie pots. ...

Here in the U.S. they're usually called "campfire dutch ovens" although my impression was that potjie pots were typically larger? Legs on a "campfire dutch oven" aren't as long however, as they're designed to be used on a table or something other than a ground fire.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:41:55 AM by addicted-to-smoke »
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 11:05:07 AM »
With the logic that i have read, it would seem that we don't need a gas grill section or online finds or any of the other multiple sections we could just search for what we need ::)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 12:06:31 PM »
@Troy we are not going to make everyone happy, I am not in favor of a separate section on this site for cast iron but I think changing the bbq and cooking one to include outdoor cooking would make sense.  What needs to happen to make this change?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
Grilling, BBQ and outdoor cooking?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 12:19:47 PM »
Wouldn't cast iron be an accessory no different than the vortex, SNS, smokenator, roto, etc?  I can say that when I go to other forums and they have a million category or sub categories I get kind of turned off.  While it does make it easier for lurkers to find something specific I think it makes it harder for those of us who check the forums several times a day since you would have a lot more clicks to get through all of the new posts.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »
I don't know if renaming the cooking section will help, since that area is literally for cooking.
Cast iron topics cover cooking and brand/model discussions and restoration/maintenance

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 05:38:03 PM »
Wouldn't cast iron be an accessory no different than the vortex, SNS, smokenator, roto, etc?  I can say that when I go to other forums and they have a million category or sub categories I get kind of turned off.  While it does make it easier for lurkers to find something specific I think it makes it harder for those of us who check the forums several times a day since you would have a lot more clicks to get through all of the new posts.

Yes, this describes the behavior and the experience! Less is more. Fewer streams to wade through. Let the topics wash over you and simply click the ones you want. More subdivision and differentiation is just a ton of clicking around hoping or worse, assuming something is interesting within.

I still think the cooking techniques and "gallery" subforms could be successfully merged. Actually, a fair amount of what shows up in the Grilling & BBQ Forum really should be posted in the charcoal/accessories section. Recent examples include kettle vs WSM, cast iron, grates discussions where folks got confused about gear (Charcoal & Accessories) vs. methodology (cooking techniques and how-to) topics.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 08:14:02 PM »

I still think the cooking techniques and "gallery" subforms could be successfully merged. Actually, a fair amount of what shows up in the Grilling & BBQ Forum really should be posted in the charcoal/accessories section. Recent examples include kettle vs WSM, cast iron, grates discussions where folks got confused about gear (Charcoal & Accessories) vs. methodology (cooking techniques and how-to) topics.

Yeah, that's been on my mind for a very long time

Snowbeast

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 02:24:39 AM »
Do you guys get three legged cast iron pots over seas. In South Africa we call them potjie pots. ...

Here in the U.S. they're usually called "campfire dutch ovens" although my impression was that potjie pots were typically larger? Legs on a "campfire dutch oven" aren't as long however, as they're designed to be used on a table or something other than a ground fire.

This was a work function where we used gas a we didn't have the time to get coals ready. We did a mutton curry in it.

I don't have a pic of it, but we use a truck rim on the ground with holes drilled into it for air movement. I make a wood fire on the side to make coals and keep transferring them under the pot.

Great social event.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk