Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast iron sub forum  (Read 5953 times)

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Cast iron sub forum
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:27:48 PM »
I have noticed an increase in CI posts and was wondering if a CI sub forum to post CI tips and cooking techniques, what do you think?

Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
Re: Cast iron sub forum
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:53:29 PM »
I'd like that. I'm fairly new to CI cooking and would love some tips. Especially care and maintenance.

Zippymsbs

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »
X2 would like to see what people are using with their Kettles

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:23:28 PM »
So where would it go? General discussion or Cooking?

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 11:42:23 PM »
Organization is good.

But I am a big fan of not making more subforums unless the topic is starting to dilute/interfere/push relevant posts onto back pages.
More subforums just spreads things out, and ultimately means less views and less participation.

I have seen other forums start adding subforums and before you know it, many of them are ghost towns with too few posts to warrant visiting... And as such, no one posts there and the whole issue spirals.

I don't think the forums here move too fast that the main forums couldn't support the additional posts... 

I'd much rather see these posts go into the cooks and pics forum... Or I guess for ones that don't quite fit there the grilling&BBQ forum could be expanded to something like "Grilling, BBQ & Outdoor Cooking"
If from there the volume of cast iron cooking threads disrupts the original intent of that subforums a new one could be considered but I don't suspect that would be the case.

Just my take, YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 07:31:40 AM »
Organization is good.

But I am a big fan of not making more subforums unless the topic is starting to dilute/interfere/push relevant posts onto back pages.
More subforums just spreads things out, and ultimately means less views and less participation.

I have seen other forums start adding subforums and before you know it, many of them are ghost towns with too few posts to warrant visiting... And as such, no one posts there and the whole issue spirals.

I don't think the forums here move too fast that the main forums couldn't support the additional posts... 

I'd much rather see these posts go into the cooks and pics forum... Or I guess for ones that don't quite fit there the grilling&BBQ forum could be expanded to something like "Grilling, BBQ & Outdoor Cooking"
If from there the volume of cast iron cooking threads disrupts the original intent of that subforums a new one could be considered but I don't suspect that would be the case.

Just my take, YMMV.

This would be my vote, that way I can post pictures of my cooks on my Kamado, right @mike.stavlund and @pbe gummi bear  ?
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 07:36:36 AM »
Can we please get someone from Weber to give @LightningBoldtz a really really good deal on a BGE if he will surrender his damn Kamado?  LOL   ;)
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:38:47 AM »
Never, EVER Surrender....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »
@LightningBoldtz - At least my this segway is under the right forum category....website issues!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
Organization is good.

Just my take, YMMV.

Well Said!

This is my philosophy as well!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 07:44:19 PM »
I think its a great idea as many use cast iron on their kettles all the time, and many have questions about keeping their Cast Iron Cooking Grates, Skillets, Pans, or Dutch Ovens in good condition. People joining this site are interested in Weber kettles, not cast iron collecting.

We have a Gasser  section on a "Weber Kettle Club" , but cant have a Cast Iron Section?

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 08:35:23 PM »
I think its a great idea as many use cast iron on their kettles all the time, and many have questions about keeping their Cast Iron Cooking Grates, Skillets, Pans, or Dutch Ovens in good condition. People joining this site are interested in Weber kettles, not cast iron collecting.

We have a Gasser  section on a "Weber Kettle Club" , but cant have a Cast Iron Section?
I don't think it's going to happen sadly.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 04:39:04 PM »

Sorry but I disagree. You can still search cast iron in the search option and there are other forums that beat cleaning and care to death. 

I believe it's best to keep a forum on the topics at its core so as not to load it up with other stuff that bogs it down. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »
Besides, cleaning and care are easy as can be… cook, wash with hottest water whilst scrubbing with hard bristle brush. No soap, ever. Dry. Oil. Heat. Repeat. Pretty damn simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C&B Blue Performer

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »
Cast Iron Cleaning and Care was just an example of things most NEW people like me, ask. I realize yes I can Google it, or anything else I want to learn more about for that matter, including Weber Grills. But then I wouldn't have any reason to be on this site unless Google brought me here.

After being here for awhile, you kind of get to "know" people, and I would rather ask their opinion on something than just browse the web and listen to what Charlie Broil recommends.

Anyways, no dedicated Cast Iron section makes no difference, I just thought it would be nice if all the info was posted together. We can just post it some where else.