Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hole size for temperature probe  (Read 7102 times)

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
Hole size for temperature probe
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »
I am going to order the silicon grommet for the thermometer probe from Weber for my 22.5 WSM
But does anyone know what size hole I have to drill?
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Re: Hole size for temperature probe
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:20:15 AM »
If ordering a Weber part from Weber, it should have instructions. Or it should tell you the drill size on the packaging. There are so many variations of grommets for the same size pass-through diameter, that I wouldn't drill the hole until the grommet was in my hand. Should use a die grinder w/ a deburring bit (if you have or can borrow) to clean the porcelain off where you're drilling. Best way to avoid chipping porcelain when drilling.

Good Luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:40:38 AM »
The hole is 1.25"

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 09:41:33 AM »
Use a step bit and go slow

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
With the older units most guys just drilled a small hole or removed a bolt for the probe wires to run through ? Not saying you can't drill the 1.25 hole but I don't think I would personally for fear of damage .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »
a lot of people have put the grommet on older WSM. Just go slow while drilling and it will  be fine.
Hotty Toddy!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
@Lemans you can also use a Dremel to cut out and shape the hole like I did in my GA mod: http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/04/25/weber-grill-mod-adding-gas-assist/
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 03:25:23 PM »
I was checking out the new bullets with the silicone grommet and the hole is punched and it has a ridge. Has anyone here actually done this mod and does the grommet fit securely?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 05:31:08 PM »
I ordered the silicone grommets today from Weber. $5.00 each plus shipping.
But now I am having second thoughts.
  If I f it up I am going to have to pay 175.00 to replace the center section
Also according to Weber. If I drill the whole I void the 10 yr war renter
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 05:31:38 PM »
Warrantee

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »
Ok so I found out it is a 1 1/4 inch hole. Some member who has a 22 WSM can you please measure how far down from the top of the center section and on which side does it go?
Thank you

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 05:50:26 PM »
Here's some more info for you.  I have heard you have to oil them a bit to get them to fit in. Not sure about the height but I think you can place it wherever works best for you. 

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51875-Silicone-Thermo-Port-how-to-install&highlight=grommet+mod

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 11:57:14 AM »
I have the Gen1 & Gen2 big bullets without the silicone grommet. Looking at the tvwbb link, the guy that did the mod has it situated @2" OC from the top of the center section.

Where do you do the most of your cooking - top or bottom grate?

I'll be honest when I say that I absolutely HATE threading a probe and wires under and over a grate, its a PITA!

And I don't like the idea of cutting the U slot in the center section, but I completely understand the ease of use and why folks do it.

I've done the threaded lamp nipple with an end cap on my drums.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

fedex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 01:39:31 PM »
Use a step bit and go slow

This way.  Put 2 pieces of masking tape over the spot your gonna drill then drill a small pilot hole first then use the step up.  I've never chipped any kettles using this method.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:02 PM »
   Totally agree with the tape I did two layers on the inside also,and when you peel the tape make sure you peel from the outer towards the center "SLOWLY". So what you'll need is a measuring tape,pencil,masking tape,drill,round file and metal cutting device of your choice,personally I'm more comfortable with a 1 1/4" hole saw.
   Layer your masking tape on the outside move your grommet until it is equidistant between the two bolts then move it about an inch away from the bolts. Grab your pencil fold the grommet over make a center mark,tape the inside,start drilling. After your done drilling use your round file inside and outside then peel the tape. Coat the hole with oil install grommet. Stand back,smile and pat yourself on the back,job well done.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.