Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: VORTEX OR GRILLGRATES for steaks?  (Read 12205 times)

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Re: VORTEX OR GRILLGRATES for steaks?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »

Sous vide? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No need for tears... if sous vide is wrong, I don't wanna be right. At least I finish them over charcoal. ;)

Agreed! And I do, as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hybridtwin77

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
I love my GrillGrates, just don't like the gasser they are on.  That being said they work well on either side and for all kinds of things.  My wife likes them when she makes carne asada.  As for the not flat side, I take the example of Meathead and throw out some pellets in the grooves.  I've never used the Vortex but i would imagine it is pretty much like searing directly over the chimney.  $0.02
Christopher
2016 MT

Jake

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »

Sous vide? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No need for tears... if sous vide is wrong, I don't wanna be right. At least I finish them over charcoal. ;)

Agreed! And I do, as well.

Hell yeah! If you're like me, and I know I am, there is nothing like sitting around the sous vide tub on a great summer eve with your buddies and a cooler full of cold beer.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 08:24:36 PM »
@Jake;  IMHO sous vide is a French concept (at least is sounds French),  I find it amazing that a country that can't wash their armpits on a regular basis has such an obsession with bacterial growth/death in the food they eat. :)

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Maineac

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2017, 07:07:02 AM »
Meathead likes Reverse-Sear.  I don't, I like Sear-n-Slide  ...  w/ SnS and hot coal close to the cooking grate you can control the amount of time each surface is presented to the heat to watch for the deep dark Mahogany color that indicates Malliard Reaction has completed  ...  while absorbing the burning juice smoke from the meat juice.  8-count perside, flip at 8 and restart the count.  When you get to the color you want, check the internal temp and cool-zone it until it hits your mark.  Only problem I've ever had with that method is trying to cook a rare "thin" steak.  That's tricky.   But, as they say in BBQ & Grilling, YOU cook your food the way YOU like it cooked and never mind what anyone else says.               SJ
Ditto on the Sear-n-slide
I use Craycourts and the Slow N Sear which is closer to the vortex.  I have grill grates but only use the backsides for no flareup flat top work.  I believe you can get a superior product with sous vide and a sear but you are now into a 2-cook process which I'm usually not willing to do.
Performer - Jumbo Joe - Smokey Joe Gold - Bayou Classic SS84
MAK 1 Star #184 - Bradley OBS #968,312 - Spirit E-310

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 02:01:06 PM »
I love my GrillGrates, just don't like the gasser they are on.  That being said they work well on either side and for all kinds of things.  My wife likes them when she makes carne asada.  As for the not flat side, I take the example of Meathead and throw out some pellets in the grooves.  I've never used the Vortex but i would imagine it is pretty much like searing directly over the chimney.  $0.02

A couple of years ago GrillGrates had some overstock and put some of their standard plates on clearance.  I was able to pick up four plates for less than $100.  Trimmed about ¾" off one plate and turned my dad's base level CharBroil into a nice little cooker.

Here we have 3 Medium Wells, 6 Mediums, and 3 Medium Rares.

I agree with:

But, as they say in BBQ & Grilling, YOU cook your food the way YOU like it cooked and never mind what anyone else says.               SJ

Reverse Sear, Sear-n- Slide, Sous Vide, Vortex, GrillGrates, Slow 'n Sear, Flattop, Grill Marks, etc., etc., etc.,

Lots and lots and lots of choices.  Pick the one(s) that work(s) for you ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Bubblehead

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2017, 04:08:21 AM »
Grill grates with a few pellets sprinkled over them makes a sous vide steaks taste pretty close to a steak cooked over fire the whole cook.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2017, 06:11:03 AM »
This is how I like my steak done on the outside with some color and some crusty texture.  I usually get some kind of grill marks from super high heat, but not concerned with nice grill marks.

You can tell by how the muscle fibers are so loosely bound together that this was a SUPER tender steak 8)

To achieve this, no need for Vortex for high heat or Grillgrates for non flareup design CI.  I have experimented with raising charcoal grate 1 to 2inch for better sear even with only1/2 full charcoals. Worked out great but normal 3/4 to full chimney charcoal in the charcoal basket does the trick for me.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »
That steak looks amazing.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.