Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: VORTEX OR GRILLGRATES for steaks?  (Read 12200 times)

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
Re: VORTEX OR GRILLGRATES for steaks?
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 01:50:07 PM »
For looks, grill grates.

For the most maillard reaction/browning evenly across steak = any method directly over fire. I like Meatheads article on this topic.

"That's one of the reasons that great steakhouses use broilers where the flames are above the meat. That way they can get brown all over. That's why grill marks don't make me salivate. I want brown all over."

Agreed.

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2015, 03:25:11 AM »
For looks, grill grates.

For the most maillard reaction/browning evenly across steak = any method directly over fire. I like Meatheads article on this topic.

"That's one of the reasons that great steakhouses use broilers where the flames are above the meat. That way they can get brown all over. That's why grill marks don't make me salivate. I want brown all over."
I recently reverse seared burgers on the grill grates and achieved 'brown all over' by flipping the grates over and using them more like a griddle.

THROUGH THE MUD BBQ TEAM

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2015, 06:46:30 AM »
Ha! Science.  Can't argue with science.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 06:14:45 PM »
Anybody used a CI or SS pan or griddle for at least the sear, if not the cook? I haven't, but read it's a path to a crispier, browned coating. You see this also in the Steak Revolution documentary done at some restaurants, no?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 07:01:39 AM »
@addicted-to-smoke my next ribeye is getting lightly smoked indirect on the kettle and finished in a cast iron pan with some ghee (clarified butter used in Indian cooking - it has the milk solids removed so it has a much higher smoke point than regular butter. You can even deep fry in it).

Restaurants use a salamander which is a broiler that gets as hot as 1000-1200 degrees. Since the heat is above the steak, it can get a nice even crust without flare ups. Cast iron is a good way at home to get intense heat directly into the side of a steak. Even though a weber can get up near 1000 degrees that heat dissipates quickly the farther you get from the coals.

I'm not saying cast iron is a better way than reverse sear or slide and sear but it's something I'd like to try and experiment with.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 01:37:51 PM »
Just remember three things:

1. Opinions are like a$$________s.

2. Pretty much everybody's got one.

3. And, for the most part, everyone's "opinion" works pretty well for them.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »
Sous vide? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
+100 sous vide. It's like crack, now I'm an addict. Sous vide for the win!

C&B Blue Performer

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:58 PM »
Like this???

Sous vide @ 128 for 3.5 hours, and then seared over a full chimney of coal in the WSJ.

Stringplucker1

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2016, 02:55:00 AM »

Like this???

Sous vide @ 128 for 3.5 hours, and then seared over a full chimney of coal in the WSJ.

Daayummm!!! Yes, like that!!!

Sous vide is the future, at least mine. I'll have a hard time going back. I got mine in November, so haven't experimented enough to see what temp suits me best. I'm sure my wife and kids like a tad bit more done than I, but there's been no complaints so far.

C&B Blue Performer

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 12:06:25 PM »
@jfbincypress, that is one good lookin' steak ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »
Might be another option out there...

Quennel9

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
I've ever met the problem that method is trying to cook a rare "thin" steak. :-X

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
galaxy j5 case casesam
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 07:20:27 PM by Quennel9 »

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 03:35:39 PM »
Anybody used a CI or SS pan or griddle for at least the sear, if not the cook? I haven't, but read it's a path to a crispier, browned coating. You see this also in the Steak Revolution documentary done at some restaurants, no?
I have never been as much of a fan of cooking in the cast iron pan as I am cooking over coals. Not sure the exact reason, I think it has to do with sitting in its own grease more but not sure. It does do a good job of crisping up all over though.

On the point of Steak Revolution as a reference point... I wouldn't let that sway my opinion too much. VERY little cooking over coals in that movie, apparently just not much BBQ going on, I don't know if that has much to do with the "right" way to cook a steak vs just the way its done... not here.

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2016, 07:36:35 PM »
Sous vide? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

No need for tears... if sous vide is wrong, I don't wanna be right. At least I finish them over charcoal. ;)
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ