Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My home made side table. Progress.  (Read 27826 times)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
Re: My home made side table. Progress.
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
I am going to make one of these.  What I am going to do....(after looking at Jeffs original Weber table)  I am going to find a cheap old kettle , or get some from Shaun, and mount actual leg sockets from a kettle.  I saw Jeffs table and I swear the sockets were off of a grill.  Maybe Shaun can help me by sending me some old leg sockets off of a roached out kettle.  They are designed to hold a 1" inch aluminum tube so it will be perfect. 

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2012, 08:27:15 PM »
That is a good idea Brian.  I am going to make another one, so if someone has extra leg  sockets laying around... I too could use them.  By the way, i put the first coat of varnish on today.  It is going to look nice.... In about a week....

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 02:56:33 AM »
I am going to make one of these.  What I am going to do....(after looking at Jeffs original Weber table)  I am going to find a cheap old kettle , or get some from Shaun, and mount actual leg sockets from a kettle.  I saw Jeffs table and I swear the sockets were off of a grill.  Maybe Shaun can help me by sending me some old leg sockets off of a roached out kettle.  They are designed to hold a 1" inch aluminum tube so it will be perfect. 

Brian

Brian
Wouldn't the leg sockets off a kettle grill be made to fit the rounded edge of the bowl?  You would need sockets that are flat since you are trying to attach them to a flat wood surface.  Unless you were planning on tapping them flat with a mallet?
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Larry Wolfe

• WKC Brave
    • The Wolfe Pit
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 03:36:29 AM »
G, I love the ingenuity!  Nice craftsmanship!
Larry Wolfe
----------------------------
The Wolfe Pit Blogspot

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 06:59:08 AM »
I think you could flatten them with a mallet. Brian, how are they attached to the table?
I assume the thought is to replicate the Weber design. If my saw wasn't broken, I might try and build one out of Redwood. I just don't need it. But a 26er version might be cool..
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:08:36 AM by Heyjude »
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 07:05:40 AM »

Brian
No, they are exactly the same ones. I think I have a couple laying around. Email me Brian.

Brian
Wouldn't the leg sockets off a kettle grill be made to fit the rounded edge of the bowl?  You would need sockets that are flat since you are trying to attach them to a flat wood surface.  Unless you were planning on tapping them flat with a mallet?

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:27 AM »
Now that I have applied a few coats of Spar Varnish and installed the leg tips, I am calling this one "done".  I might put one more coat of varnish on.  I am looking forward to making another one.  If anyone has extra leg sockets laying around, let me know.  That is definitely the approach I want to take next time.  The other thing I will do differently is I will take the time to counter sink my screws. 

Here are some pictures, and I may add some more when the light changes.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 06:55:35 AM »
Impressive! :)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 08:41:57 AM »
Awesome....Really nice!  About the leg sockets I was just gonna find a cheap grill on CL and savaged it for the sockets.

Brian

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 09:33:26 AM »
Brian,

please do not savage any weber grills.  I'd prefer we salvage them.

bamboleo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 12:22:23 PM »
Wow that looks excellent. Great job.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
There are grills that need to be savaged, sometimes they are beyond help....

Brian

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 01:11:45 PM »
Nice job there.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 01:39:19 PM »
That table looks great! I've got side table envy! Mine is the stock modern plastic one (which I like) but it's not a lot of space. I would love to make and have one like yours!  ;)

Craig

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 03:56:53 AM »
The designer in me says mount that top handle the other way around so it reads right when you're facing the front of the grill. (This from years of setting up product photos for catalogs and sales materials...it's a disease.) Great job on the table! I'm mulling over one for myself, but I need to steal back the kettle I plan to use it on from my Son in law first.

Marty