Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My home made side table. Progress.  (Read 27865 times)

G$

• WKC Performer
My home made side table. Progress.
« on: July 16, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
I mentioned in this post (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=140.msg934#msg934) that I was building a side table for my Master-Touch.  The Inspiration was a Jarrah wood side table offered by Weber in the 90s, at least in Australia, that I had seen on another forum.  This Jarrah wood table was a beautiful dark mahagony color, but I planned to make mine in light oak to match my new handles.

Soon after starting, I decided I did not want an exact replica of the Jarrah table, and my goals became the following:
A slatted plank top table that affixes to the Master-Touch handle on one end.
Relatively close match to the new handles in color.
Had to look AS IF it could have been offered as an original weber product.
And ... I had to use the following wood pieces:

These are actually bunk bed side rails from my kids beds.  I found them in the back of a closet, as the beds have not been used as bunks in a long time.  It turns out ... it takes a long time to sand the finish off of these.  Here they are after being sanded (40, 60, 150, 220, ugh) and getting ready for dry fit...

To be continued...

Duke

• The Duke
Re: My home made side table. Progress.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »
Great work! I can't wait to see the finished product. :)

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:19:18 AM »
After getting the spacing where I wanted it, I started screwing the table top together with the support pieces, using stainlss screws that match the style Brian sends with his handles.  Before attaching the second support piece I scribed my circle to ensure my distances were correct.

Once the boards were all screwed together,  I then used a jigsaw to cut the curve. I was too lazy to go get the right blade, so my jigsaw and the masonry board blade that was on it at the time were not the exact right tools for the job, but they did ok.  More sanding of the curve followed and I got a chance to test the fit and then install the handle attachment system:

to be continued

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:40 AM »
Table looks great so far...but ONE big problem that I see.

You are covering up one of Brian's nice, new, wood handles under the new table!!!!
Look forward to updates!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
Once I was satisfied with the handle mount, I had to decide what to do with the legs.  I decided NOT to use folding wood legs, but rather alluminum tube legs reminiscent of the other weber side tables.  I bought a fixed shower curtain rod that came with flanges. Little did I know, these are purely decorative flanges and would  do nothing to keep the legs straight and in place.  Here are the flanges mounted to the table. They look pretty cool.

In practice they suck and this was a bad idea*.  I should also point out that I had decided to assemble the whole thing BEFORE varnishing.  Because of my short attention span, I wanted to keep making progress toward something that looks finished, and I knew varnishing would take forever.  Probably not the BEST way to do it, but I am content with my choice.

This is what the table looks like with the legs.  This is a dry fit, I had to take the chop saw out twice to get the level where I wanted it.

* Basically, the legs are going to be in fixed position always. I do not mind this so much, but my redneck enginering of loading the flange up with epoxy is certainly not a good design principle.   Once I decided that I did not want wood legs, I also decided I did not want the tubes to protrude through the table top liek the weber tables either. I was a little bit stuck.   I drilled out the wood to give some additional support, but the whole method I have attached them is pretty hokey.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:40:50 AM »
So, the above post is where the project sits right now - basically done but I need to do two things:  Varnish the thing to hopefully match the handles, and after varnishing place some thin foam tabe under the table where it seats on to the handle. This will protect them a little from scratching, although the table really is locked in place and does not move.    It is a rock solid table, and I might make another one with my lessons learned.  After it is varnished, I will take some better camera shots.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
that looks pretty awesome!!!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 11:13:55 AM »
Wow! Nice job!

It looks like you need some leg caps.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »
Thanks Troy. I forgot a few things:

One thing I did not mention that I am really happy with is the top, and how the table looks from the top.  All of the top boards are perfectly even, and the surface is level.  platters, plates and trays sit perfectly.    I like that it is slatted and I will have no reservations about just spraying it off if it gets grimy.

I need to get some caps for the legs.

The alluminum leg are unfortunately pretty "chrome-ey".  There was no flat or brushed finish in the rods.  I thhink it is not too noticeable.

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:21:55 AM »
Wow! Nice job!

It looks like you need some leg caps.

Haha, I remembered that as well. I personally like the white caps from coleman 1 pound propane bottles, but I am out of them.  I have a clear cap on the Mastertouch itself right now, which also needs a white cap installed at soem point.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:25:33 AM »
Lowes sells nice white and black ones for a buck 30.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »
where'd you find the legs?

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
where'd you find the legs?

60 inch chromed alluminum fixed shower curtain rod from Lowes.   $6.xx

I think the diameter is actually slightly larger than weber legs but i did not try to fit them.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
nice!

I wonder how much weight they'll hold

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 12:24:49 PM »
nice!

I wonder how much weight they'll hold

Given that they are vertical, I would say they will hold more than the kettle side.  I will do some strength tests.