Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 6.5 lb pork butt on the mini WSM  (Read 1953 times)

tomtappel

• WKC Brave
6.5 lb pork butt on the mini WSM
« on: December 16, 2015, 04:53:08 PM »
Doing a 6 pounder on the mini WSM tonight, injected with the Chris Lilly injection, rubbed with a Memphis BBQ seasoning from the store. 45 degrees outside tonight. I have a Terra cotta saucer at the bottom as a heat diffuser, but it was diffusing too much heat, couldn't get the smoker above 150 even with all vents wide open. Luckily, I used to play in a band called The Adapters. From previous smokes, the terra cotta saucer got so hot that it had already been cut clean in half, so I took one half out, which helped raise the temp. I closed the vents a little, now I'm sitting at around 300, which is a little higher than the other smokes I've done, but I'm done adapting for the night. Just gonna see how this one turns out.  Smoking with hickory

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
Re: 6.5 lb pork butt on the mini WSM
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
Keep fighting the good fight, I have faith in you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomtappel

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
Well she's not winning any competitions but she looks great and smells better. I actually liked the way the mini did with only half of the Terra cotta diffusing the heat, and I was able to keep the butt over that half to keep the heat as indirect as possible. That probably didn't really make a difference but it did in my head  so I went with it. Temp held steady at 250 and only dropped to about as low as 225. I refueled with maybe ten coals for about the last hour. Overall, she took about six hours, I did a probe test, she felt enough like butter to me. I'm not entering her in any comps, I'm feeding the ladies at the office and I'm tired for Christ sake. The ladies at the office will be bringing their dips and casseroles, but I plan on waking things up with this beaut

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 06:45:30 AM »
Looks good to me!  I've said in another post that butts and shoulders have enough fat to stand up to higher cooking temps just fine.  I bet this comes out just as good as any other butt you've done but with a better bark!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

tomtappel

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »
Turned out great

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
Great looking pulled pork, especially the bark.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna