Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Razor scrapers  (Read 3786 times)

BC

• WKC Brave
Razor scrapers
« on: December 15, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Razor scrapers
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 06:00:48 PM »
Yes
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 06:01:18 PM »
Thank you!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
I have found that the razor blade in the jaws of a small Vice-Grip works best for me.
Seems to be easier to hand on to.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:09:04 PM »
I've seen different types of handles for razor scrapers on the 'net but looks like variety is limited in the stores.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 06:13:05 PM »
I have found that the razor blade in the jaws of a small Vice-Grip works best for me.
Seems to be easier to hand on to.
That's what I use too. Small needle nosed vice grip

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 06:18:10 PM »
Grip and leverage are key.  I used a vice-grips until I discovered this gem. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR88C?keywords=razor%20scraper&qid=1450235737&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

The long handle gives a lot of leverage, and the blade storage in the handle is handy because I keep it in the kitchen drawer to clean the oven.  WAY easier to dry-scrape the oven and shop-vac out the dry bits than to use oven cleaner or a self-cleaning cycle.  Works great on the stove top too. 
One of the charcoal people.

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 06:26:46 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR88C?keywords=razor%20scraper&qid=1450235737&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7

The long handle gives a lot of leverage, and the blade storage in the handle is handy because I keep it in the kitchen drawer to clean the oven.  WAY easier to dry-scrape the oven and shop-vac out the dry bits than to use oven cleaner or a self-cleaning cycle.  Works great on the stove top too.

I like the looks of that one. Have to shop around. I found that the one I posted the link to a bit awkward.

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:34:39 PM »
since we're on the topic of razor scraping, I have a question.

I know everyone has said that razor scraping won't damage the powder coating, but is it possible to do so if you (for argument's sake) use too much force at too sharp an angle? I've yet to use a razor to clean a kettle or my wsm because i'm afraid that I may apply too much force or scrape at an incorrect angle and wind up damaging my grills/smoker.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:46:13 PM »
I think it is a lot like using a razor on a glass surface. To me, powder coat would imply a powder paint, not porcelain. We know that isn't so, right?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2015, 10:04:28 AM »
Is this similar to what you use for scraping the insides of bowls and lids??
http://www.signcraftersupply.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=&product_id=1872&category_id=0

Thats basically what I use.  It does tend to disengage and close sometimes which can be annoying.  I'm thinking this one pictured below might do the trick.  Still has a short handle making it easy to use at all angles anywhere in the kettle.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »

This is the same one I use and love it.  No more oven cleaner for me. 

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »

I have that one too! Sometimes I find the handle a bit long, and I've banged my knuckles a few times.
I think I mostly use the vice grips because they're always clamped onto my work bench (and the scraper is usually lost)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 08:58:25 AM »
As long as you have a nice sharp fresh razor in there you will find that you don't need to press too hard. You will have to press hard enough so that the blade conforms to contour of the kettle. I have noticed some scratches that came from the ends of the blades when they start to get a bit dull. You may wanna try your technique on your parts donor blackie before attacking your prized kettle.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 03:42:40 PM »

Is this similar to what you use for scraping the insides of bowls and lids??
http://www.signcraftersupply.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=&product_id=1872&category_id=0

Thats basically what I use.  It does tend to disengage and close sometimes which can be annoying.  I'm thinking this one pictured below might do the trick.  Still has a short handle making it easy to use at all angles anywhere in the kettle.

This style works well. Holds the blade pretty tight. Doesn't allow it to flex as much though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞