Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wooden Cart Build  (Read 5541 times)

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
Wooden Cart Build
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »
Decided to throw together a quick wooden cart for my kettle.  Any suggestions/ tips are greatly appreciated.  Sketched up a plan and rolled with it.  Right now i have just the framing done 2x4 treated. 

Was going to use 5/4 x 6 treated for the top and shelf?  Has anyone used this?  I also thought about having my sheetmetal shop make me a stainless pan to cover the top for easy cleanup.

Has anyone come up with a good design to hold the lid on the side?  Was thinking about just making a box that it sits in a few inches or so.

Do you keep your cart outside? IF so how do you cover it?

Heres where i am so far.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Wooden Cart Build
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:53:46 AM »
I have no useful information for you, but I support your efforts.
😉
Keep us posted as to progress!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 11:12:24 AM »
Looks sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:03:23 PM »
Very nice design!. Stainless would make a very nice top, but i think 5/4 treated, with some water seal on it would hold up for a LONG time.
A friend of mine bulit a deck out of treated 2x framing and 5/4 decking and put Thompsons Water seal and it has proven VERY durable.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 12:11:58 PM »
Looks like you are off to a great start!  I'd like to see some marine starboard on someones wooden cart! Or maybe a SS/starboard combo.  Then you would have a built in cutting board and a SS section for putting hot things on.

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marine--poly-sheets-building-material--P004_135_001_009
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »
My only recommendations would be for the lid and that would be to go with the hinge from Unknown BBQ

This spring I'm planning a metal rolling cart for my 26er and the hinge will be a part of that build.  It even has a pin so you can take it apart if you add a roti, pizza oven, etc.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 12:31:30 PM »
My only recommendations would be for the lid and that would be to go with the hinge from Unknown BBQ

This spring I'm planning a metal rolling cart for my 26er and the hinge will be a part of that build.  It even has a pin so you can take it apart if you add a roti, pizza oven, etc.

I was looking at one of those. Do you know of anyone that had success with it?

BD

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:39:51 PM »

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »
@mattmountz94, I've got them on both of my WSMs and love them.  I didn't need one for the 22 OTG because it has that interior lid hook and that worked fine.  But when I build the cart for the 26er, I will need something because, just like you, my table top will completely encircle the kettle.

Elsewhere on this site, there is a link to video that shows the lid hinge on both the 22 and 26 and it seems to work just fine.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
Any worries about the treated lumber giving off chemicals when heated?

What were the Sequoia carts made of?

Most homemade carts I've seen were made of Cedar which wouldn't be an issue. 

I have considered making a cart too, but wasn't sure about using treated lumber.  Definitely would be more economical which I love.

Awesome design regardless.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 01:54:39 AM »
If you plan on putting the wood top all the way to the grill and around it I would suggest adding 4 pieces of wood in the corners cut on 45s so you box the bowl in. Basically have an octagon around it with places to attach the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 02:14:51 AM »
@Russell C. I did think about the chemicals but most of my research shows that the chemicals in the newer types of PT are only given off when the wood is burned and ashes are given off.  I sure hope my kettle doesn't burn the cart.  Also i have raised garden beds and use pressure treated wood on them, so if the wood is gonna give off chemicals I'm already screwed.  I'd love to go with a wood like cedar but that would be very costly going to a saw mill and so on. 

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Nice start!

For the lid, I'd go with some kind of hook hanging off the left side. I remember seeing some pictures of the way the old sequoias had a pretty cool little hanging system. I'm sure you can search for some pictures.

Can't wait to see the finish!

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 08:18:53 AM »
This thing is getting very heavy, i might just deal with my losses and start over using non-treated and stain/paint it.  Will also give it a nicer appearance when finished.  I think for the lid hook I'm going to order one of those lid hinges.  Would make opening/closing easier and quicker.  I will post more photos this weekend when i get further into the build.  Thanks for all the advice.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »
@mattmountz94  Screw the fear mongers and their treated wood outgassing chemical BS. It looks like regular lumber to me anyways. But if your scared replace the wood that comes in contact with the hot parts and that should keep anyone from sprouting a vagina or other extra appendages.

An aluminum cover on top of it will look & cook great.

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need