Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Blue '91 Performer SS  (Read 8650 times)

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
Re: Blue '96 ss Performer
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2015, 05:52:59 PM »
Nice pick up.  What a beauty!  A pristine blue SS I found on CL was the 2nd Weber I ever bought and what got this whole obsession started for me.  In a moment of weakness this past fall I agreed to sell it to a co-worker who had seen pics of my collection and fell in love with it...and I regret it incredibly.  Seeing your beauty just re-opened that wound!  I've got a Red SS that's been sitting around for a few years that I've finally started restoring last month.  Hopefully when she's all finished up it will make things right in my Weber world again.

DAMN THAT'S A NICE BLUE!!!

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 05:59:30 AM »
I don't see me selling this one because someone else likes it. How old is the red one?
The letter code on mine on the damper is a single letter, 'N' code which would make it a '91. While trying to track down a bit of history on it I was told by a rep at Weber that that isn't possible, that it should be a two letter code. I know what it says on the damper so WTH???

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 08:06:54 AM »
@BC  Not all Rep's are created equally.  Gen1 Performer Deluxe (aka  SSP) were offered from 1990 through 2004/2005 according to our WKC Historians.

Reference:     http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/                           SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2015, 08:18:26 AM »
I don't see me selling this one because someone else likes it.

It went to a good home.  He always commented on my collection, asked setup, technique and recipe questions.  He mentioned several times that if I ever wanted to get rid of my Blue SS that he'd take it in a heart beat.  So the last time he asked I figured what the hell, time to pay it forward.  Now if he's cooked something the night before or over the weekend he can't wait to talk about it with me.  He loves to send me pics of his cooks, but the pic he sent me this weekend was my favorite.  It a picture of his old Char-Broil gasser on the curb with a FREE sign on it.   8)  Part of this hobby for me is educating other on cooking over charcoal and getting them hooked on Webers.  That guy's started to build a lifetime of memories with his family and friends.  All it cost me was a grill.   :D

My Red is a 99.  Just need to swap out the last of the old hardware with stainless steel, get her Zavodized and she's ready to go.  Hope to get to it this weekend.  If so I'll get some pics up.

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »
@BC  Not all Rep's are created equally.
LOL

Reference:     http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/                           SJ

Yup, that's where I got the info from for the letter code. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the info found there, so nice to think I have a '91 and not a '96 as previously thought.

The reason it is in such nice shape, and I'm guessing here but probably right... for sure the seller kept it stored indoors but also, he bought it new, in store, in '96. One spot on the lid was touched up by the store and he received a discount for it.. I'm saying this one was used as a floor model for 5 years.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2015, 09:02:20 AM »
Weber can't figure out my serial number on my SS Performer.  Its a ER code (96) and the serial number on the ignition panel doesn't jive for some reason.  I suppose it is very possible that my grill may have made its was across the border from Mexico.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »
The only place I've checked for a code is on the damper. I'll look elsewhere next week and get pics. At this point I have no idea what year it was made. Says 'N' on the damper, Weber says no :/ So.

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »
Received an email this morning from the seller: "Would you also like to have the Weber cookbook that we got with it?"

*choke* *sputter*

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »
I'm in an on going back and forth with Weber, trying to get the date of manufacture for the Performer. They insist there is a two letter code followed by a serial number. From what I've seen here on ID'ing this unit, it may be too old for that. There is no serial number on any part of the unit other than the number on a sticker that coresponds to the same serial number on the owner's manual. 114147
 The only ID I can see is the single letter code 'N' on the lid damper.
 As I said earlier this unit was bought new in '96 but I believe it was a floor model that had been sitting there for some years. Could this be a '91 and not a '96?

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
Id say you have a 91
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2015, 09:48:04 AM »
I can see that they would use the single letter code along with a serial number for later years, but there is no serial number on any sticker at all and the unit is in the same condition as when it was bought, no stickers removed.

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2015, 09:52:51 AM »
Wow.   That thing is in great shape.  I'd get a few cooks done and wait for some warmer weather to get it cleaned up since its so clean already.  I think you are going to love the gas assisted start.  I love mine (REd 96 SS Performer).  Lightercubes or newspaper in the chimney aren't a big deal, but its still an extra step that you will not miss at all once you light a chimney with the gas assist!

MikeRocksTheRed, what is the letter code on your lid damper and do you have a serial number anywhere at all on the beast?

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
Okay, 'problem' solved. I just got the last word back from Weber support:
Hi Brian,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Yes, that photo indicates your grill was manufactured in 1991.

Thank You,

Ray Sampson
Customer Service Rep
Weber-Stephen Products LLC

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2015, 10:01:34 AM »
My 96 is an ER code.  You definitely have a 91!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

BC

• WKC Brave
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
Still very much a noob at all this. I was so happy thinking I had a really clean '96. Now all I can say is...wow! just....wow!