Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey Reminiscing  (Read 2879 times)

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
Turkey Reminiscing
« on: November 24, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
Every year around this time I review how I cooked turkey for past Thanksgivings and it brings back many memories. I try to do something different every now and then and some times I just go for the sure method. Still my new favorite is deconstructed Turkey or cut into pieces, which I’m doing this year. I always brine the turkey no mater what method I use.

Here is my collection of past turkey cooks :)

Deconstructed Turkey

Kettle Rotisserie

Beer-Can-Turkey

Turkey Cannon

Open Rotisserie

Another Beer-Can-Turkey

Pork fat under the skin

What is your favorite method?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Turkey Reminiscing
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 09:45:32 AM »
I want to do a deconstructed turkey but I think I'll have to wait until I'm hosting Thanksgiving to do that. My girlfriend and I are in our late 20s and still go to our parents' places.

I'll always have a soft spot for turkey cooked on the kettle, and I'm a pretty big fan of deep fried turkey. Deep fried turkey can only accompany kettle smoked turkey, not replace it.

Man that open pit roti turkey looks pretty fantastic.

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:38:38 AM »
When you cook the turkeys do you put a meat probe in from the beginning?  OR just check it near the end?

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »
This year I'm just doin breast meat since that's what the MIL prefers. I'm not too upset as it will make it even easier on me.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
Either smoke roasted on the Kettle or on the Rotisserie would be my favorite. I love the fried but not the price of the Peanut oil. I like smoked and will do one here in a week or so for holiday munching.

For the question about the probe , if you have one that tracks temp then by all means insert it at the beginning , if not start checking about 2 hrs into your cook with you hand held and go from there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 05:57:47 PM »
Your memories looks tasty...

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »
Your memories looks tasty...
Put me down as agreeing with this. Man! Those are some good cooks.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 08:54:18 PM »
Dang @BBcue-Z how do you get that awesome color on your Turkey?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 02:19:33 AM »
Thank you ALL!!  :)
@pbe gummi bear , I brush the skin with liquid butter and don't put any spices on it just salt. I found over the years that the spices on the skin just burn and discolor it due to high content of fat. They really don't impart any flavor to the meat, since the skin is quite thick. I found it better to brine for flavor or place the spices under the skin or directly on the meat where I can reach.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
Those all look great!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
@pbe gummi bear , I brush the skin with liquid butter and don't put any spices on it just salt. I found over the years that the spices on the skin just burn and discolor it due to high content of fat. They really don't impart any flavor to the meat, since the skin is quite thick. I found it better to brine for flavor or place the spices under the skin or directly on the meat where I can reach.

Interesting! I made my first turkey last year with my wife and it came out with the same amazing color as yours. Turns out we larded the outside of the turkey. Is that the secret to getting the orange brown color?!?!?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 03:08:37 AM »
All of those turkeys look fantastic,  getting ready to smoke my first turkey (21 lbs) on the 26 with a smokenator any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 04:23:06 AM »
Great looking turkeys guys and a lot of great tips for me for Christmas.  Of course I'll be trying out turkey a la rotisserie. 

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BBcue-Z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 11:49:54 AM »

Interesting! I made my first turkey last year with my wife and it came out with the same amazing color as yours. Turns out we larded the outside of the turkey. Is that the secret to getting the orange brown color?!?!?
I think any liquid fat would help with that color :) I think the smoke also contribute to the coloring as well.
Good luck with your Rotis Turkey LC; it's a great method!!

Thanks weldboy, just let the kettle do its thing and maintain the temp around 360 and  you'll do well :)