Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: I'm In Love (A Vortex Story)  (Read 3535 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
I'm In Love (A Vortex Story)
« on: November 22, 2015, 02:26:50 PM »
My wife got me a Vortex for my birthday last week. She gets me...
So first off, lover her for the gift!!! Today I tried it out for the first time, wings of course.

Wings all prepped up. I followed the directions that came with the Vortex, and drizzled them with some oil, and then a generous sprinkling of Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning (Our go to for wings)

Ring of wings around the new Vortex

Hard to tell in this pic, but the color change on the '83 red was quick and awesome!

This was about an hour and twenty minutes (a bit too long, but I got caught up in other things)

Tossed with some red hot wing sauce

This thing is a game changer for wings!!!They came out SUPER CRISPY!
I over cooked them a little bit, but I think getting them off around the hour mark would have been perfect. It was cold and windy today, so I was a little doubtful if the Vortex would have been able to pull off crispy wings, but it totally worked perfectly. I also think getting bigger/fatter wings would have helped too.

My overall impression, best wings I've ever had coming off the grill. I was thinking about flouring them, but I prefer naked wings and they could have not been better. They totally had the crispy fried skin I was hoping for.

So to sum up: love my wife, love the Vortex! My wife already suggested we make wings tomorrow for MNF.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
I'm In Love (A Vortex Story)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »
Nice! Hoping for a vortex for Christmas, been throwing hints to the wife. The wings look very tasty
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 03:58:32 PM by weldboy »

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: I'm In Love (A Vortex Story)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 04:15:20 PM »
I love my vortex
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 07:49:06 PM »
The vortex is alot of fun to use. I would pull your gourmet grate center off if you can- The heat from the vortex can cause premature wear on it's coating.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:49:44 PM »
Nice job. I haven't gone past 35 minutes with wings on the Vortex, maybe I should to experiment a bit.

But yeah, the Vortex is definitely a keeper. Even if all you do with it is chicken wings.

What really surprises me is that none of us have mentioned how proficient the Vortex is at removing forearm hair. I've changed grilling technique to walking to the other side of the grill, rather than reaching across the Vortex.

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:36:43 AM »
Nice job. I haven't gone past 35 minutes with wings on the Vortex, maybe I should to experiment a bit.

But yeah, the Vortex is definitely a keeper. Even if all you do with it is chicken wings.

What really surprises me is that none of us have mentioned how proficient the Vortex is at removing forearm hair. I've changed grilling technique to walking to the other side of the grill, rather than reaching across the Vortex.

Totally agree with all of this. First time I did them, I went to flip them halfway through the cook and realized they were done  :)

Ya, also same cook..I learned to not reach over the center of the grill when using the vortex. Lesson learned quick as I have not made that mistake again..

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 06:00:50 AM »
YES YES YES!!!!!

I have only really used my vortex for wings and I am totally fine with that.

I have burned some arm hair flipping wings over the vortex for sure.  Now have a pair of the extra long Ove Gloves.  Someone needs to come up with a donut shaped grill basket thingy so you can just flip everything at once!

@WNC - An hour and 20 minutes?  I usually flip mine twice after about 10-11 minutes and cook for a total of 30-35 minutes.  If I am doing thight or legs, they usually get an extra flip then another 10-11 minutes.  You should really try flour on a couple of them the next time just to see if you like it.  I think the flour absorbs some of the drippings giving them a little extra flavor.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 08:01:53 AM »
30-40 min cook for me . Recommend you try flour also

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »
Wow. Awesome!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 06:06:05 PM »
Hmmm...so 30-40 mins for you guys?

I found that after 30 mins the skin didn't appear to have that crispy texture to it. I mean I like me crispy.

I tried some bigger wings yesterday, still took about and hour twenty, but because they were bigger, they weren't as overcooked.

Are you guys getting really crispy skin in 30 mins?

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 06:08:41 PM »
Oh, and I'm not rotating the vent lid. So far my ring of wings hasn't made all the way around the grill, so I just leave the vent above the space with no wings. Could that be to issue?

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 10:34:54 PM »
Oh, and I'm not rotating the vent lid. So far my ring of wings hasn't made all the way around the grill, so I just leave the vent above the space with no wings. Could that be to issue?

I have filled the grill with wings on a day when wings were on buy one get one free for the big trays. They all got crispy. The lid thermometer always stays pegged through the cook.

I don't rotate the lid, I don't turn the wings anymore - they seem to brown on the bottom faster than the top. I do light on the Performer by setting the Vortex over the gas and filling it over the brim with new charcoal. The charcoal usually touches the grill. All vents WFO. I have used KBB, lump, and Stubbs, and leftover charcoal from previous cooks.

Maybe it is the flour.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 10:57:49 AM »
Hmmm...so 30-40 mins for you guys?

I found that after 30 mins the skin didn't appear to have that crispy texture to it. I mean I like me crispy.

I tried some bigger wings yesterday, still took about and hour twenty, but because they were bigger, they weren't as overcooked.

Are you guys getting really crispy skin in 30 mins?

I get cripsy skin everytime!  I don't oil mine so maybe that is the difference.  Or a combo of not oiling and using flour.  You'll have to do a few with no oil and with flour next time to see if you get the same results as your oiled wings or if the time is cut in half for those.  I've never thought about the location of the top vent and have never noticed the chicken at any section of the grill being different than the rest.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 11:00:21 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2015, 05:41:50 AM »
Those look great! I'm putting a vortex on my list. Too many success stories not to. We make lots of wings here and it seems that might step up my game.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 06:28:54 AM »
I just went with the oil because that what the instructions that came with the vortex said to do, and it seemed to make sense, but I'll try it without oil next time.