Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bacon for turds question  (Read 4505 times)

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
Bacon for turds question
« on: November 07, 2015, 05:50:33 PM »
Quick question for you guys...What is the best bacon for turds? (or as I call them jalapeno poppers) Thick cut or regular cut? Want to make some next weekend.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bacon for turds question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:58:06 PM »
Thin cut crisps up much better than thick cut. I generally get the thinnest, cheapest bacon I can find. A lot of guys here are big fans of Hormel black label. Plain old Oscar Meyer also works pretty well.

I think this is definitely a case where nice, thick cut bacon does not make the final product better.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 09:52:40 PM »
I second the thin bacon. You can use the cheaper bacon, one slice per chile, and mummy wrap 'em.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 05:55:49 AM »
Thin cut crisps up much better than thick cut. I generally get the thinnest, cheapest bacon I can find. A lot of guys here are big fans of Hormel black label. Plain old Oscar Meyer also works pretty well.

I think this is definitely a case where nice, thick cut bacon does not make the final product better.

Hormel black label FTW.
Still need a 22” yellow

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:18:24 AM »
I prefer the regular cut.

I don't like to use inexpensive bacon for turds.  Cheap, sh!tty bacon is just that.
I find it tends to shrink way too much and squeeze all of the filling out of the pepper.

I don't mind paying a little more for quality bacon.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »
I use the Kirkland bacon from Costco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 01:52:41 PM »
I'm a noob to turds.  Can someone post a link to a turd how to post?  Don't know what's in them, how long to cook, what temp or anything.  Can't seem to find it. 

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 02:47:34 PM »
I'm a noob to turds.  Can someone post a link to a turd how to post?  Don't know what's in them, how long to cook, what temp or anything.  Can't seem to find it.

I slit the side of the jalapeno and stuff with cream cheese and colby jack cheese.  There are many other combinations.  Then it is wraped with bacon held on with toothpicks.  Cook them indirect with some smoke chips or chunks low temp about 250 degrees.  Rotate and flip them as you go.  I like mine done slightly crisp with the bacon and the peppers slightly soft.  Hope this helps.
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 03:11:40 PM »
@Lumpy Coal

Wrapping:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/'turd-wrapping/msg106680/#msg106680

Various discussion & ideas:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/abt-questions/

Play with the timing & temp 'till you get them a way you like.......250 or a little more, for an hour, hour & a quarter might be a starting point.......different fillings will take different heats & times......endless possibilities, actually......... 8)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 03:19:41 PM by 1buckie »
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 03:58:51 PM »
I really like this abt discussion: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/need-help-with-turds/

There's a happy medium between thick and thin. I can stretch out thick bacon to wrap one turd with half a slice, or one thin slice of bacon. I also slice them in half at an angle so the overall length is longer for each slice and the pointed bacon tip falls perfectly on the point of the jalapeno. The taste/flavor is the similar for both bacon types but the costs can be wildly different between various types of bacon.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 04:01:59 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 05:15:15 PM »
That's awesome guys!  Thanks.  I will try them shortly.   

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
My 2 favorites are Corn King or Meijer Hardwood Smoked bacon. Both seem to have a nice stretch and are perfect for wrapping the way  @1buckie taught us. Don't even need toothpicks to hold them together.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 04:09:29 PM »
I try not to use toothpicks as much as possible. The bacon shrinks tight anyway.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 04:48:42 PM »
I try not to use toothpicks as much as possible. The bacon shrinks tight anyway.

Yeah, it seems like it sticks to itself.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2015, 07:17:12 AM »
My favorite bacon for turds is Corn King.

Some with cheap bacon and homemade Buckboard bacon. Everyone preferred the thin sliced

Thin sliced and fatty! Albertsons used to carry it until Safeway took over.

Not a big fan of thick bacon wrapped turds.

Try some with Proscuitto (sp)
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!