Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Turkey Cook Off 2015 Sign Up  (Read 5922 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: Turkey Cook Off 2015 Sign Up
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »
Here is my cook off report, guess I'm the Early bird:

Did my bird this morning. Plan was a 4 hour cook from 9-1 at 350-375. Bird was 16 lbs on a roasting rack in a pan on veggies.

We have some kosher guests so the bird was a kosher bird rubbed with olive oil (no butter). Cavity filled with veggies.

Some of our guests don't care for heavy smoke so just a small chunk off Apple wood.

Similar cook last year but this year is 22" WSM last year was kettle. I didn't have the bird on a rack last year. It was resting on the veggies in the pan last year. Maverick 733 monitoring bird and put and my new lava tools javelin for instant read.

Weather was colder then anticipated so i got my preheat going around 8 am. And I did 1.5 chimneys of lit Stubbs over a ring of unlit.

Probably didn't need so much lit. The temp was over 400 in minutes. Closed 2 vents.

Bird went on breast down at 840 am. For the first hour.  Temps still a bit high about 390.

After the first hour I flipped bird breast side up and closed last open vent down to half.

Temps stayed in around 360-370 for rest of cook.

Maverick breast probe hit 165 in about 3.5 hours, way sooner then planned.

Checked temp with the javelin and breast was all 165 and up in all spots and dark meat was 175 and higher, hopefully not too high.

Pan juice drained for gravy but veggies left in. Bird on rack and veggies in pan all covered in foil and a towel and placed In a dry cooler to hold.

Bird was done earlier then needed so now it's hold and pray that it keeps the temp
And moisture. Fingers crossed. Moment of truth will be carving time. I will update post then. Happy thanksgiving all.

UPDATE: I continued to monitor temp with Javelin while it held and it did just fine. Bird was good. Held its moisture well.  The gravy I made actually beat the roasted bird gravy to the table. I knew it worked out well when we offered guests some left overs to take home and the smoked turkey started disappearing. Might have to do another one :)  Another thanksgiving win.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 02:33:01 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2015, 12:09:13 PM »

i've been running oven temps around 350 and the breast is at 158.  still a little ways to go but it's a fun first cook on the aristo.  :D 
I only use kettles with lid bales.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »
I took no pics, but ours turned out nice. I dry brined an 18# bird with salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary for about 24hrs. Tossed half and onion, Apple, and orange in the cavity and cooked it for about 4hrs 15mins on one of my 26ers. Turned out pretty good. The skin was awesome when I first pulled it, but got a little soggy by the time I let it rest and carved it. Overall it was a win, but I think I can do better. I'd like more practice with some smaller birds
-Keith