Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: **WSM/Kettle Lid Conversion**  (Read 5720 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
**WSM/Kettle Lid Conversion**
« on: November 02, 2015, 06:58:02 PM »
In response to this post http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/member-sales-trades/22'-wsm-middle-section-free-to-good-home-n-ca/  I had to share this.

Some folks were wondering what they could do with a 22" WSM center section. Well I had one that was out of round from my Gen 1 2010 WSM that Weber replaced. I had already gotten a Cajun Bandit Conversion kit and was getting down with the Rib-O-Lator and a Weber rotisserie ring when I decided to make the extra center section a dedicated WSM rotisserie setup. Well, no sooner than I did that Chris Perres rolled out the Cajun Bandit Reversible WSM/Kettle ring. So my creation became a spider collector!

I had been cutting off the bowl lips of rustbucket kettles for some of my Drum Smokers to use with a rotis and Weber lid, naming it the "soon to be patented swamprb UDS/Weber kettle lid mod" or the "Flange Mod". So.... I figured, why not make one for the 22" WSM and use a kettle lid on it??

This is one for my BPS drum that is removable and allows me to use the drum lid or a Kettle lid/rotisserie ring.

Here is what I did for the 22" WSM center

Cut 1 1/4" off the bowl of a 22" to set in the top of the WSM center to hold the lid.

I wanted this to be removable in case I stumble across a WSM lid so it just sits in the channel

So, since the center is somewhat out of round and the "flange" has some gaps between the channel, I fashioned some braces that are pop riveted in place and tightly secures the lip inside the center section and rest on the grate tabs.

To make a tight seal, I used some 5/8" fibreglass rope gasket and Permatex High Temp silicone to adhere it to the "flange".

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Stay Hungry!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:05:59 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Re: **WSM/Kettle Lid Conversion**
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »
Great work swamp!!, I like that its removable
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
Good work! That lid adapter is very cleverly done.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 04:55:30 AM »
If someone with some metal skill sold these at a reasonable price, I would be interested.

I have an extra midsection that was warranty replaced for my old 18" WSM that could be used on an 18" kettle.

Also this would make multiple midsections stack-able.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP