Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How do you dispose of ash?  (Read 3370 times)

jdefran

• WKC Brave
How do you dispose of ash?
« on: February 01, 2016, 04:00:50 AM »
I typically dump it the tree line/over grown shrub area between myself and the neighbor.

I wonder if I can bbq enough I could eventually build a wall with the ash..  ???

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: How do you dispose of ash?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 04:13:58 AM »
I am curious as to what people come up with as I usually just toss it in the trash can. I always figured there had to be something that you can do with it...

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 05:44:50 AM »
I just dump it in the garbage can.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
How do you dispose of ash?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
Works good when tilled into a garden. Holds moisture. Mixed with a little sand, it'll help keep the soul from compacting as much. Plus the drippings that the ash contains, are organic matter, and will break down (fertilizer).
That being said, with the placement of trees & limited yard space I have now, I just sh!tcan them. Miss having a real garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:56:01 AM »
I just dump mine.  I've heard that lump ash is good for gardens but Kingsford blue isn't and I usually use KBB.  I have no support for whether its true or not, but I did read it on the internet so I'm pretty sure it is.  I also thought that most of the drippings are in the grease/fats category and wouldn't be good for gardens (that stuff isn't composted for a reason) but I don't know that there'd be enough in most of my ash to matter.

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 06:44:05 AM »
When I know there are no longer live coals they get tossed into the little woods on my property.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:27:16 AM »
Mine go in the green waste/tree clipping can when they are completely out.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:57:51 AM »
I've been throwing mine in the garbage for years but have always wanted to find something more resourceful to do with it. I have thought about spreading it throughout my lawn as a kind of an aerator since my soil is very high in clay. Does anybody know if that will work? I have noticed how hard it can get when mixed with water! It would make a great cement! LOL.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »
I dump mines in low spots in the yard. Good way of eliminating water puddles when it rains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 07:53:00 AM »
Have a galvanized small trash can and lid from hdepot.
Dump in the can for at least 1 week prior to dumping in trash bag.
Coals can stay lit for up to 3 days..so leave it alone for at least a week in the can.
I used to dump in my compost pule but ive read that ash is good for compost only in small amounts..
Grills

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »
I dump mines in low spots in the yard. Good way of eliminating water puddles when it rains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Generally mine goes in the dumpster just across the parking lot from my patio, but I do use it under my patio sometimes!  I have a spot where there must have been a tree at some point that is constantly settling.  Every few rains I have to pull a few pavers up and throw down a ash pan full of "organic patio leveler!"
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
I save the bags the charcoal Comes in then dump once the ash catcher is full and cooked for a day.

steakporkchicken

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
Lately I've been spreading my charcoal into our garden and compost. 
22" WSM,'15 Green Performer Deluxe, '13 Jumbo Joe,
'14 Genesis 330 -Smoke

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 03:44:39 PM »
Put it out with the regular garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 04:45:31 AM »
I use it to fill pot holes in my VERY old cement driveway.
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "