Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How many were collectors before finding this website?  (Read 7295 times)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
How many were collectors before finding this website?
« on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
The "Before you were a Weber guy or gal" thread got me thinking, which is dangerous.

I never really thought about collecting Webers until I found this website. I didn't even realize there were so many different colors and/or models.  How many of you all were actually collectors prior to this website being started?  Did many of you actually go out and look for old Webers prior to finding this website.  If so, how did you get started being a collector?

Just to be clear, I am not asking how or when you first started using a Weber as a grill.  I am more curious as to how and when you crossed the threshold into a collector of Webers.  What got you into it?

For me, I really only started looking for older and colored Webers over the past 2 years or so, and primarily after finding this website.  Unfortunately, a Red Mastertouch is as "rare" as I have found so far, but I still look every day.  I also like finding good deals on Webers, cleaning them up, and then selling them or giving them to friends/family.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:48:57 PM by tb80 »
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

Troy

• Statesman
Re: How many were collectors before finding this website?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »
I was a collector before I started the website ;)

There were at least 5 others.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »
oh, and I got into it when I stumbled upon @Jeff and his collection (7 at the time i believe)
I was looking for a red, because that's what my dad had. I found Jeff's collection and decided that I wanted my patio to be like his.

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 02:02:03 PM »
I was a collector before I started the website ;)

There were at least 5 others.

I kind of figured that you were a collector prior to starting the website.   ;D
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 03:18:55 PM »
I have had a weber gasser for about 20 years. Bought my 1st kettle a few yeara back and fell in love (Steven Raichlen did it).
I was searching for a way to remove the ash sweep from My son's CL kettle and found this site.
The rest, as they say......so collector..lesa than a year..weber guy..quite a while, the only charcoal grill I had before the kettle was a Portable Kitchen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 04:27:20 PM »
I had a collection of WSMs before I this forum, and a couple of kettles too.

Now I have a whole lot of both!
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 05:00:27 PM »
Do NOT let my wife hear that I might, just might, be a Weber Kettle collector.  You know what I mean !!!                                    SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
I had a 97 (EI code) kettle, a 22" WSM, and a custom build mini-WSM...then I found this site, and those have multiplied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 05:35:24 PM »
Two years ago we went to visit my girlfriends grandfather, who at 92 and partial dementia didn't have the ability to use his old grill any longer. While we were there her mom suggested that we have a bbq. So I said "No problem, I'll handle the grill. Where is it?" She said "its in the back corner of the garage with the charcoal."
CHARCOAL!!!....OH SHIT!

I won't lie I was a bit nervous. I know its hard to believe dear brothers, but up until that time yours truly was strictly a cheap gasser chump, I had never cooked using charcoal before and here I was having to give it my first go for almost her whole family on what turned out to be her grandads old patent pending red MBH. To make matters worse the "charcoal" was a 5+ year old bag of no-name generic grocery store briquettes sitting in a very damp garage. No chimney and no lighter, just a pack of old cigarette matches. The pressure was on....but I sure as hell wasn't going to be the big pussy that spoils everyone's day by giving up and ordering take-out.

Luckily for me the old guy had planted a Christmas tree in the back yard that was probably older then his kettle. The thing was HUGE and I gathered up a bunch of dried needles and pine cones and dumped it all in a big circle of the briquettes and just kept fanning the flames and feeding the fire until it got dry and hot enough to catch. Now I was cookin' with ga....err.....I mean charcoal!
Long story short....I got it done, unfortunately a little too well done for my liking, as I didn't know about 2 zone cooking, but as most of her family are chicks they were just happy it wasn't "cold or bloody".
Bottom line....I was never going to let that happen again and vowed right then and there to become a charcoal man and do that old mans grill proud the next time I touched it. As soon as we got home I hopped on Craigslist and found my first kettle, a black 18 inch plastic handeled OTS that I got for 15 bucks and it just snowballed from there. I had Weberitis, still do and hope I die with it one day as a happy, well fed, old man!
SMOKE THIS!!

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »
I had a 26er, 2 22's, an 18.5", a performer, JJ, GA, and 3 SJ's (all black) prior to joining the WKC. I never thought of myself as a collector just someone who had a thing for kettles and cooking on them. The thought of collecting them never dawned on me until I found this site. I'm definitely a collector now and have added a lot of color to the family.
May The Smoke Be With You!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 07:44:09 PM »
I had a mini collection before the WKC existed. I had an 1880 WSM, Lodge Hibachi, 22.5" OTG, CGA, and SJS. Those were the days. TVWBB Charcoal grill forum is full of old-school kettle discussions from the usual suspects. Check out this old post by Troy: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?12582-baby-blue-weber-kettle what a noob he was back then! lol @Troy
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
@Cochise That's quite a trial by fire man.  Thanks for sharing with us.  I hope that patent pending redhead is still in the family!

I wasn't a collector before grabbing my first kettle, and I wouldn't really consider myself a collector now.  Granted, rare and vintage kettles are tough to come by in my area.  My collection will more than likely remain small to WKC standards.  If something more collectible comes along, I'll either cycle it into the group while releasing another, or pass it along to someone here. 

Erich

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
I wasn't a collector before joining, they just kinda followed me home. :)

I found this website while looking for ideas for custom bbq counters or carts.  We were doing a backyard remodel and I did NOT want a propane bbq installed in an island.

I still plan to build a custom cart and install a copper performer in it.

My first grill was a black one touch that I used for 20 years until the blades rusted off.  I parked it in the corner and bought a Black Performer.

Then my mom passed away and I got my Dad's patent pending red head. 
This website was an inspiration to get new sweepers and give both grills a good deep cleaning.
Now I pull them out when I need more space for large cooks.
The performer is still my go to grill.

Lemans

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 02:49:20 AM »
I started with a 22 gold in black.. Looking to learn more about how to get the most out of it
I found this site along with SMF . Wanted a wsm so I bought a SJ and made a mini
At a garage sale Got a new 18 silver for $5.00, got I guy off Craig's list that sold me
2- 22.5 wsm for $50 each.. Saw a copper SJS nib.  Couldn't
Resist..    Yeah this site made me a collector!!!
I can't stop lovin my Weber!!!
2-22 WSM, 22.5 gold, 22.5 MT code EE Red Head ,22.5 AH in Green ,18 silver , Green SSP code EI,Weber Ranch,mini WSM black,4-smokey joes black, lime, copper, crimson Sjg  IQ120 electric 22.5 silver economy 2004..that makes 15. I know WEBERITIS !!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 05:04:38 AM »
I wouldn't consider myself a weber collector. With that being said if a rare color came up for sale near me I would jump on it!
I really like the colored kettles and so far have a small fleet of grills compared to most! I got in to buying kettles after I bought my 18 WSM. I really figured out how to use it and feel in love with charcoal/bbq. Like tools I want to make sure I have the right tool to do the job which led me to buy the rest of my fleet.

Blue SS performer
Red MBH
Black 18" OTG (chopped to a midget)
18 WSM
Mini WSM
lime SJ
black SJ gold
black SJ silver
Hotty Toddy!