Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Food saver  (Read 13017 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Food saver
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 02:17:56 PM »
Also, if you want to do cold smoked cheese, which I strongly recommend, the FoodSaver is a must.  You need to seal the cheese for 2-3 weeks before eating or it'll taste like an ash tray.  But after a few weeks, you'll have something amazing.  And with the FoodSaver bags the cheese can last a few months refrigerated, or longer if frozen.

Glad to get this info...I know you are supposed to seal it up and let it sit to let the smoke move throughout the cheese, but didn't know it tastes bad until that process is done!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 07:31:38 PM »
Also, if you want to do cold smoked cheese, which I strongly recommend, the FoodSaver is a must.  You need to seal the cheese for 2-3 weeks before eating or it'll taste like an ash tray.  But after a few weeks, you'll have something amazing.  And with the FoodSaver bags the cheese can last a few months refrigerated, or longer if frozen.

Glad to get this info...I know you are supposed to seal it up and let it sit to let the smoke move throughout the cheese, but didn't know it tastes bad until that process is done!
Oh my God it's horrible! [emoji37]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 07:56:16 PM »
I can verify the above claims are true. Even my cold smoked bacon tasted like an ash tray until it hung out in a bag for a week or two.

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 10:26:28 AM »
I just found a foodsaver V3425 at an estate sale for $15. I pulled the trigger. It lit up when plugged in and the motor seemed to run. Hopefully it is all in working order.
Hotty Toddy!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »
I used my V2244 3x today and it was struggling pulling a good vacuum. I had 3lbs of bacon in a gallon bag and it had trouble sucking the air out. I had to cycle the vacuum a few times to get it to clear out and even then the vac was weaker than normal. This has never happened before; later on I checked the seal and some debris was keeping it from making a good seal. I'll have to keep tabs on it periodically and keep the seal clean. I reseated the vacuum seal on the unit and everything seems to be working just fine now. With that said, I like the simplicity and compactness of the entry level models. I assume that the quality would be similar between this one and a sub 200 dollar model.

is the foam seal getting loose at all?
I did replace mine earlier this year when my unit was not vacuuming well. I think it was like 6  bucks.

Possibly. I brushed the debris off the foam seal and now it pulls vacuum just fine. I may also start storing unlatched to keep from compressing the foam.

@Troy
@pbe gummi bear

Moisten the seal with a damp towel or it can be soaked in water for a few minutes before use and it'll suck like prostitute in a pulpit.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2016, 10:56:36 AM »
rando question: where do yall buy replacement bags?
Hotty Toddy!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »

I buy them from Amazon.  Not sure if they are the cheapest place, but its easy!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

stubblebum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2016, 05:02:30 AM »
I have not bought any vacuum bags from here but have read good reviews and will buy from them next time I need any.

http://shop.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/ULTRA-Bags-Rolls-for-FoodSaver-VacMaster-Weston-etc_c278.htm

If you do a search you can probably find a code for 10 percent off. I would add a link but it is a thread on another forum and I am not sure about the rules regarding this.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:51 AM »
If you write info on vacation bags, it surprises you when you pull out some pulled pork you did 6/7 months ago and after heating in boiling water and you open and that fresh smoke smell hits you. Enough said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2017, 05:24:20 PM »

Sams club.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Shoestringshop

• WKC Performer
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2017, 04:47:18 AM »

Ebay
Wife said "No more GRILLS in this house!" So I bought a 2nd house!

oldsmoker

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2017, 11:21:52 AM »
Food vac bags .  only place to buy bags and rolls.

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2017, 02:17:09 PM »
I use just the basic style food saver, not one of the fancy models. I works great cost is minimal and I buy the bags in rolls not individual bags, that is a lot cheaper. I also get my bags off Amazon using non name brand which are really cheap and work just as well. I find the food saver line of bags are very costly. I use it all the time as I buy a lot of meat in bulk. Was at Costco the other day and they had those long pork loins on sale so I bought 5, cut them all up into 6 pieces and started up the food saver.

another think I like to do is mix meats with spices and marinades and then seal them. pop them in the frog for a day till the stuff soaks in and then freeze them for future use. I do not know if the day in the frig helps but I figure if I give it time to penetrate before freezing it has to help. But then I do not know if that is scientifically accurate.

Now my brother has one of those food savers that they sell on tv with all the bells and whistles, I have never known him to do anything but use the bags or the storage boxes, and I can do that with my bottom of the line model.
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

Joetee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
I'm looking to purchase one of those vacuum type bag sealers. I'm seeing a wide variety of models and pricing. From $120-$450. Anyone with experience or suggestions? Any particular models to stay away from?
I would suggest getting one with the mason jar attachment. You might use the jars more than the bags for veggies etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »
I believe they all come with the air hose now
but I could be wrong
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline