Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Food saver  (Read 13007 times)

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Food saver
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
Now you guys have me checking out foodsavers!  And I could use one right now since I have pulled pork and brisket in the fridge that needs to be frozen within a day or two if I can't finish it up.

Amazon has a really nice one right now for $119 for Prime members.  I might have to pull the trigger on this deal.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Sealing-Retractable-Handheld-Heat-Seal/dp/B00DI342IW/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1446748467&sr=1-1&keywords=food+saver&refinements=p_89%3AFoodSaver

Good job spotting that! I just bought it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2015, 03:59:42 PM »
@jon - nice!  I can't wait to have a bunch of the smoked meats I usually give away to friends and neighbors just sitting in my freezer for an easy reheat in simmering water lunch! (I work from home)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2015, 09:22:43 PM »
Not just that, with a vacuum sealer it is more practical to get stuff like the Costco/Sams whole cuts. I've avoided those previously, even though they were quality meat at a great price, I knew that some would be wasted or frozen improperly. With one of these things I'll buy them.

I've wanted one of these for years, and put it off for varying reasons (money, wife, counter space...etc.). This time I just said "screw it, I want it." I find myself saying that more and more as I grow older.

And this is a good deal. At the list price, I would probably want the thing to have at least one more "vacuum attachment." Well, we are saved from that requirement.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »

I've wanted one of these for years, and put it off for varying reasons (money, wife, counter space...etc.). This time I just said "screw it, I want it." I find myself saying that more and more as I grow older.

Same here. The food saver pays for itself in short order.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2015, 04:28:00 AM »

Now you guys have me checking out foodsavers!  And I could use one right now since I have pulled pork and brisket in the fridge that needs to be frozen within a day or two if I can't finish it up.

Amazon has a really nice one right now for $119 for Prime members.  I might have to pull the trigger on this deal.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Sealing-Retractable-Handheld-Heat-Seal/dp/B00DI342IW/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1446748467&sr=1-1&keywords=food+saver&refinements=p_89%3AFoodSaver

This should help you pull the trigger. It can seal BACON my friend. That's right, you could buy your miracle cure in bulk now. You can even use the dang thing when marinating turkey burgers in BACON.

Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2015, 05:28:18 AM »
This should help you pull the trigger. It can seal BACON my friend. That's right, you could buy your miracle cure in bulk now. You can even use the dang thing when marinating turkey burgers in BACON.

LOL!  I pulled the trigger yesterday before I was overcome with thoughts of bacon on facebook.  I think the food saver on my mind for a few days was blocking my normal thoughts of bacon and they all came spewing back out after I had ordered the foodsaver!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2015, 07:36:59 AM »
BTW, you're not a true FoodSaver owner until you've poofed up a few marshmallows with it. Use fresh marshmallows for best effect.

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 08:58:49 AM »
@brewtownbeatdown -  Just googled it and saw a video.  Going have to see if I can find some Peeps this time of year to play around with!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 09:32:45 AM »

@brewtownbeatdown -  Just googled it and saw a video.  Going have to see if I can find some Peeps this time of year to play around with!
I've never had much luck with Peeps. Maybe they weren't fresh enough, or it's a denser marshmallow.  Christmas tree Peeps would look awful sweet all poofed up.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 12:30:50 PM »
My saver arrived about 30 minutes ago.  So far so good!  I have some pulled pork and some brisket vacuum packed and in the freezer that probably would have been throw out or given to a neighor in another few days.  Can't wait to reheat something I've bagged and frozen!

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »
Costco has the 4980 on sale for $119.99. http://www.costco.com/FoodSaver%c2%ae-4980-Automatic-Vacuum-Sealing-System.product.100219510.html  I saw them yesterday on sale in the store too.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 05:08:57 PM »
Got one of these almost 2 years ago from Costco. May not be restaurant grade but damn good for what it is.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 10:17:44 PM »
imaged4171.jpg" border="0

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 08:15:49 AM »
No complaints so far. 

3 bags of pork ribs (a rack and a half) and half of a brisket.   

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 01:52:57 PM »
I love my FoodSaver.  When you're doing a 10 to 14 hour low and slow, you don't want to just do 1 butt.  You gotta have leftovers.  I portion them out, pack them in FoodSaver bags and freeze.  After a few months, the pulled pork still tastes great.  Beyond that, I don't know since pulled pork doesn't last longer than that in my house.

Also, if you want to do cold smoked cheese, which I strongly recommend, the FoodSaver is a must.  You need to seal the cheese for 2-3 weeks before eating or it'll taste like an ash tray.  But after a few weeks, you'll have something amazing.  And with the FoodSaver bags the cheese can last a few months refrigerated, or longer if frozen.