Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Food saver  (Read 13018 times)

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
Food saver
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
I'm looking to purchase one of those vacuum type bag sealers. I'm seeing a wide variety of models and pricing. From $120-$450. Anyone with experience or suggestions? Any particular models to stay away from?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Food saver
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
I'm looking to purchase one of those vacuum type bag sealers. I'm seeing a wide variety of models and pricing. From $120-$450. Anyone with experience or suggestions? Any particular models to stay away from?
I don't have one, but there is some discussion here:
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=13389.0

And. @Troy 's review here:
http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/12/28/best-vacuum-sealer-for-bbq-foodsaver-v2244-review/

Let us know what you get, I still need to buy one too.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 11:27:11 AM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
My V2244 is still running strong. Used it twice today actually!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
I used my V2244 3x today and it was struggling pulling a good vacuum. I had 3lbs of bacon in a gallon bag and it had trouble sucking the air out. I had to cycle the vacuum a few times to get it to clear out and even then the vac was weaker than normal. This has never happened before; later on I checked the seal and some debris was keeping it from making a good seal. I'll have to keep tabs on it periodically and keep the seal clean. I reseated the vacuum seal on the unit and everything seems to be working just fine now. With that said, I like the simplicity and compactness of the entry level models. I assume that the quality would be similar between this one and a sub 200 dollar model.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:19:18 PM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 04:41:27 PM »
I picked up a V3460 for $60 on Craigslist...with $50 in bags thrown it. I had an older model, but love this newer one more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 04:52:05 PM »
I used my V2244 3x today and it was struggling pulling a good vacuum. I had 3lbs of bacon in a gallon bag and it had trouble sucking the air out. I had to cycle the vacuum a few times to get it to clear out and even then the vac was weaker than normal. This has never happened before; later on I checked the seal and some debris was keeping it from making a good seal. I'll have to keep tabs on it periodically and keep the seal clean. I reseated the vacuum seal on the unit and everything seems to be working just fine now. With that said, I like the simplicity and compactness of the entry level models. I assume that the quality would be similar between this one and a sub 200 dollar model.

is the foam seal getting loose at all?
I did replace mine earlier this year when my unit was not vacuuming well. I think it was like 6  bucks.

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 07:09:14 PM »
I scored a V3825 for like 10 bucks at Goodwill a couple of months ago, it just needed a
small bit of cleaning and it works great and am really happy with it so far.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 07:43:08 PM »

is the foam seal getting loose at all?
I did replace mine earlier this year when my unit was not vacuuming well. I think it was like 6  bucks.

Possibly. I brushed the debris off the foam seal and now it pulls vacuum just fine. I may also start storing unlatched to keep from compressing the foam.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 03:39:47 PM »
I just bought this and like it so far http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U738ZE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

I got mine on an Open Box/Amazon warehouse deal and saved $30 or so on a unit that someone purchased and then decided to return without using.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:10 AM »
I've used FoodSaver machines for the last 20years.  Just bought my third machine a year ago. I usually buy the mid-level ($100-$150) units, because I don't "buy into" all the new accessories they come up with. Just need a bag sucker/sealer & hose attachment.  You might think you'll never recoup the initial investment, but anyone who cooks as much as all of us, will be ahead within a year. Dang thing saves me a ton, since nothing gets freezer burned & tossed.  When I make chili, it's always about 5gals a batch. I'll bag the leftovers after a few days & freeze (can boil the bags).  Gotta manually seal right before chili hits seal strip area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 09:38:49 AM »
Now you guys have me checking out foodsavers!  And I could use one right now since I have pulled pork and brisket in the fridge that needs to be frozen within a day or two if I can't finish it up.

Amazon has a really nice one right now for $119 for Prime members.  I might have to pull the trigger on this deal.
http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Sealing-Retractable-Handheld-Heat-Seal/dp/B00DI342IW/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1446748467&sr=1-1&keywords=food+saver&refinements=p_89%3AFoodSaver
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »
I am on the fence about buying a food saver. Lets say you seal pulled pork into individual portion bags to pull out for dinner. How do you typically reheat your leftovers? Do you need to pull the meat out and put in fridge in advance to thaw or do you typically throw the bag in boiling water until it feels hot and serve? Thanks in advance.
Hotty Toddy!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 12:10:00 PM »
I am on the fence about buying a food saver. Lets say you seal pulled pork into individual portion bags to pull out for dinner. How do you typically reheat your leftovers? Do you need to pull the meat out and put in fridge in advance to thaw or do you typically throw the bag in boiling water until it feels hot and serve? Thanks in advance.

I'm hoping you can just pull out and put in some simmering water!  If anyone can comment on this, as well as if you can throw a frozen bag in a crock pot to reheat that would be great!  Otherwise I'll have to do some trial and error reporting in a few days once mine arrives.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2015, 12:13:21 PM »
Did a quick google search and this was the first result:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141614

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2015, 12:51:50 PM »
i freeze pulled pork and ribs all the time

to reheat, pull sealed meat from freezer and put in a stockpot of hot water over low heat

it works great and tastes just as good as when it came off the smoker