Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Keep pieces of lump from falling through the charcoal grate  (Read 7263 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Keep pieces of lump from falling through the charcoal grate
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:21:52 PM »
I'm getting tired of little pieces of lump falling through my charcoal grate. It seems like the two most prevalent options are getting a second charcoal grate and setting it perpendicular to the original, or cutting a piece of expanded metal to fit over the charcoal grate.

Has anyone tried both? It seems like expanded metal is cheaper but I would also need to buy a pair of tin snips (correct me if I'm wrong on that) to cut it down.

Any other options I'm overlooking?

fedex

• WKC Ranger
Re: Keep pieces of lump from falling through the charcoal grate
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 04:29:08 PM »
I use another charcoal grate. Works great.
1 Black Limited Edition Kettle & Wife Model #1962

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:46:58 PM »
I think you're gonna come out about the same in price, especially if you need to buy a tool to cut the expanded metal. I just bought a sheet at lowes and I think it was like $10-12 bucks. I think the charcoal grate for the 22 is about the same price.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 04:56:22 PM »
I use the SSP charcoal baskets perpendicular to the charcoal grate, same idea as another grate really.  If I'm lighting small pieces to start (end of a bag, all that's on hand at the moment, etc.), occasionally I'll line the inside of the bottom of the SSP charcoal basket with tin foil.  It doesn't stop every piece from falling through but it seems to get the majority. 

Thinner guage expanded metal can be bent or "molded" with little effort, i.e. find a 1'x1' square of expanded metal and just bend the corners up the side of the bowl.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 05:07:29 PM »
I use two grates  1 up 1 down

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
Two grates works just fine and in the future you can keep your eyes peeled for another option. With this hobby youll pick up spare parts periodically and in a few years or so you have a bunch weber junk laying around.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 06:06:52 PM »
+1 for @Hell Fire Grill-- perpendicular grates still allows enough air flow and ash droppage, and you'll find some other grates/grills soon enough.  ;-)
One of the charcoal people.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 06:45:44 PM »
2nd grate for sure. Don't buy a new one though, just go pick up a cheap craigslist grill :)

tin snips won't cut expanded metal worth a shit. expanded metal is steel (trust me, i tried)

2mnygrills

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:35:16 AM »
Price some expanded 1/2 or 3/4 inch steel at your local steel distributor.  I bought a scrap piece 24X48 inches of 1/2 inch for about $20 bucks and still have enough left over for three or four more grates.  I took one of my Weber grates for a pattern and they cut one for me free.

@Troy is right on.  Snips is not the way to cut it but maybe a angle grinder.  Also, you could use any extra metal for other projects.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:52:20 AM by 2mnygrills »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »
I buy all my EM at Metal Supermarkets. Great prices and service.
If that is not an option in your area, then investigate a local metal wholesaler.
Better prices than the big box stores.

http://metalsupermarkets.com

I have made several baskets using EM, and it works grate.

I use an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel to cut it.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 08:54:36 AM »
If you have a vortex or are planning to get one, there isn't enought space between the charcoal grate and the cooking grate to put a second charcoal grate.  I tried it over the weekend when using lump for the first time and had to remove the second coal grate for the vortex to have enough space between the grates!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 10:51:59 AM »
Most Dollar Stores carry something like this pretty cheap...and they work good for that and other things.
http://www.amazon.com/13-Round-Disposable-Grill-Topper/dp/B005KDCL4U

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »
If you have a vortex or are planning to get one, there isn't enought space between the charcoal grate and the cooking grate to put a second charcoal grate.  I tried it over the weekend when using lump for the first time and had to remove the second coal grate for the vortex to have enough space between the grates!

So maybe a smaller grate that would fit inside the Vortex?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 08:01:25 AM »

So maybe a smaller grate that would fit inside the Vortex?

That would probably work as long as it fit inside of the vortex.  Maybe an expanded metal grate under the main coal grate would work good as well.  Bend some of the expanded metal so it can be connected to the main grate.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 08:40:34 AM »
@firedude5015 Yup - my local Dollar Tree has all kinds of good stuff like this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ