Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Made some pube cubes today  (Read 7098 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Made some pube cubes today
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 02:38:04 PM »
Haha good one! I used one to start a fire in my Weber fire pit last night and it worked great. Went for at least 15 minutes and got the kindling and bigger pieces going great.

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2015, 07:18:04 PM »
I will stick with the Weber lighter cubes at 17 cents each without the pubes and hassle of making them

Could not agree more!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2015, 07:47:06 PM »
I will stick with the Weber lighter cubes at 17 cents each without the pubes and hassle of making them

Could not agree more!

they can be a considerably cheaper than the weber cubes.
I've made at least 150 starters so far out of $10 in wax.

Plus they're fun to make and they work better. (burn longer, taller flame)
And its damn cool to turn trash into something useful!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »
After doing the first round I can attest that they definitely work better, burn longer and taller. I also think I could have used significantly less wax. I would go as far as to call mine completely weather proof with the amount of wax used per cube.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 08:13:47 PM »
Recycle some used tires - they burn even longer  :P

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 09:17:36 AM »
  I might have have tried these , until he went and called them that . Now there's no f-ing way lol

Not sure the cost per lighting on this set up , but I've used this same tank all summer , takes about 5 minutes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 11:10:51 AM »
I had to try my hand at this.  My main reason …. Well, I just like making stuff.  :D

I went with 1 lb of wax.  Melted the wax in a 28oz can in hot / slow boiling water.
All great advice from @austin87 in this thread, and he was kind enough to offer up some more thru PM.

I was hoping for 24.  Ended up with 30, albeit, not as pretty as Austin's.   :)

A slight brain-fart … Really hot, melted wax soaks into the carton rather quickly … Who knew?  ??? :) ;D
As I proceeded, it wasn't too bad.  Next time, I will remove the can for a spell (perhaps 1 minute or so before pouring).
I scraped the wax off the board and added the crumbled pieces to some of the cups.

Thanks to Austin for the inspiration! 

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2015, 02:28:43 AM »
Ok, so going to have to try this because like Mac...I love making crap! Couple questions,  how long do they burn and does the wax get consumed or does it just drip down as it melts?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2015, 09:44:12 AM »
Ok, so going to have to try this because like Mac...I love making crap! Couple questions,  how long do they burn and does the wax get consumed or does it just drip down as it melts?

This is a great question!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »

Pretty much everything is consumed. Very little leftover

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 05:59:44 PM »
I've been using these exclusively since Troy first posted them, and I've never had a problem with wax dripping onto the kettle.

In fact the first time I used them, I was so worried about drippage that I lit the coals on a cinder block (there was nothing left on the block), and ever since then I just light straight in the kettle.

I also use tea lights to make mine, probably not as economical, but I had bunch laying around. Use a little less than one tea light per "cube"