Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chili on the Kettle Ranch  (Read 1723 times)

xring01

• Smokey Joe
Chili on the Kettle Ranch
« on: December 06, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
Well, the Ranch was dirty from yesterdays cook..

If I have to clean, might as well cook something else for dinner tonight...

I have had a hankering for Chili for awhile now...

I have some chunks of Red Oak in the coals.. Will let this simmer/smoke for a couple of hours..

Time for a Bloody Mary and some NFL..

Pitts & Spitts 24x36 Offset Smoker, Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM, 22" WSM, 22" Grill, 24" Summit

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: Chili on the Kettle Ranch
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 03:51:09 PM »
Looks like a great set-up.  Very nice restoration, and enjoy the meal.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:02:36 PM »
Love seeing Ranch cooks......and that cooker is looking very good. Have fun.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Erictag

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 04:10:56 PM »
Great to see how that RK came out.  Very nice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mattmountz94

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 04:16:33 PM »
That thing is huge

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 04:40:51 PM »
OK, Here is the recipe. If any of you use it, Please let me know your thoughts.

This recipe is one that I modified. It started out as a Johnny Trigg and Slap Yo Daddy BBQ recipe. That I found on Slap Yo Daddy Website.  When I read through their rendition. It didn’t have enough onion, chili powder, garlic, and basically a lot of the ratios were not to my tastes.. I So I modified it below, the way I like it. 
Ingredients
•   2.5 lbs ground chuck or ground beef with 10% fat
•   2-3 tablespoons of canola oil
•   2 onions, chopped
•   3 jalepenos – remove seeds, chop finely
•   2 tablespoon garlic, chopped
•   2-4 heaping tablespoons all purpose flour
•   28 oz can diced tomatoes
•   2 six-oz cans tomato paste
•   3-4 tablespoons brown sugar
•   1 Cube of Knorr beef stock - Sold in a 4 pack kinda like small jello cup type containers. Dont disslove in water, just put it in, per the instructions below
•   * if you want, add ½ tsp cayenne powder (more or less to your taste)
•   2-3 heaping tablespoons chili powder – this is an estimate. All spices are different, some more potent than others.. Brand by brand. Start with 2 Tbsp, add more later if it needs it.
•   2 heaping tablespoons paprika
•   2 heaping tablespoons ground cumin
•   2-4 Tbsp Flour
•   1Tsp White Pepper
•   1 Tbsp Lawrys Pepper Blend
•   2 bay Leaves
•   1 Tsp Oregano
•   1 Tsp Smoked Sea Salt

1.   Saute ground beef in large saucepan in canola oil until beef is cooked. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked beef into your cast iron pot. If you don’t have a cast iron pot, you can use a disposable foil pan for easier cleanup. Or use a pot if you’re cooking the chili on your stove.
2.   Drain off excess fat leaving behind about 4 tablespoons of fat. Add onions, jalepenos and sautι until onions are translucent. Add chopped garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the onion and garlic mixture to the pot or pan where you have your cooked ground beef.
3.   Whisk in three tablespoons of flour in the remaining fat in the saucepan. Cook the flour in the oil under medium-low heat to make a roux. Add more oil as needed to get the right consistency for the roux. It should feel like uncooked pancake batter. Cook the roux until it is light brown.
4.   Once roux is light brown, turn up the heat and add water a half cup at a time to whisk the roux into gravy. Once you reach the gravy consistency, stop adding more water.
5.   Add the canned tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, beef stock cube, chili powder, salt, pepper and all the spices above. Pour the entire mixture into the pot/pan you have your cooked ground beef and onions. If you’re not going to smoke the chili on the pit, you can use a pot or Crockpot to simmer the chili for several hours. Add just enough water to cover the mixture
6.   Put the pot/pan into your pit at 250-300 degrees and smoke the chili uncovered for several hours. Every hour, give it a stir and add more water (or beer) as needed. A few chunks of Red Oak
7.   Stir as needed, taste, add any more spices to your liking. I like to serve with Corn Bread, crumbled up at the bottom of the bowl, add chili, then grated cheese and Green Onions. 

Pitts & Spitts 24x36 Offset Smoker, Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM, 22" WSM, 22" Grill, 24" Summit

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 06:08:35 PM »
Nice, thanks for sharing!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 07:53:13 PM »
I love chili.  I've got to try your recipe but I might use Masa for the all purpose flour.  Hope it makes a Roux ???                   SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 11:07:46 PM »
Looks great. Tomatoes are pretty acidic, do you have any problem putting them in your cast iron to cook for a long time?

xring01

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 06:54:49 AM »
I make chili alot of diffent ways..
One of my favorites...

When i have left over smoked brisket. I cube it up and vacuum pack it.. Which is great in Chili. Might be my favorite.

Many years ago, I was fortunate enough to kill an Elk... Elk Chili was damn good. My dad used to make chili with a 50-50 blend of wild hog and white tail deer. The wild hog had the fat the white tail didnt, made up for it.

Another variation, add canned green ortega chilis, very subtle flavor, adds a bit of complexity to your chili. If you have time and patience, roasted Pasilla peppers, then chopped and cubed..

Great thing about chili, its an open door for creativity.

My wife prefers ground beef. So she got ground beef this time.

Masa, If my memory is correct, I am pretty sure my grandmother used Masa in Chili.. Hell i was probably 4-5 years old.. Funny how reading your comment, made me remember that.

When it started getting cold in the fall/winter.. She loved to make tamales.. So she always had Masa in the kitchen.

Austin
I was raised with cast Iron skillets as a kid.. But I never truly appreciated them until 5-6 years ago. I am no expert. From my experience, if they are seasoned very well. I mean very very well.  it doesnt do much harm in one cook. Next time I use that pot, it will be something fattier.. Or if i have spare time, I will season it on the gas grill.. Bottom line is the chili did not stick to the bottom.. But i did notice a slight discoloration in the bottom of the pot.

IMHO the best chili has to come from cast iron pot.

Again guys, above is my opinion, I am not an expert. Just a guy who enjoys cooking and trying to up my game for my friends and family... Never competed at all, even though most tell me i should.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:02:09 AM by xring01 »

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:24:10 AM »
Here's my view, CI is for cooking.  If the recipe calls for tomatoes, then in the pot they go.  Good CI will always restart it's seasoning process.  That being said; I still don't use soap in the cleanup, just chain-mail :) ;D                                SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".