Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Yellow porcelain  (Read 3981 times)

TD

• WKC Brave
Yellow porcelain
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:55:17 AM »
Anyone know why the yellow Gourmet's porcelain turned orange with heat? Hopefully it's not something like lead in the enamel that would make it environmentally impossible to ever make anymore. Not that Weber would ever make anymore. but if I could have a plain one touch silver in that yellow, then I could fix it up just the way I'd like it. Bet a lot of folks would like to see some more yellow ones. Maybe in 2016. Come on Weber! 

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: Yellow porcelain
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 07:26:32 AM »
"lead in the enamel that would make it environmentally impossible to ever make anymore"

I believe you have it right there.

@Craig ?
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 07:35:29 AM »
The older ones probably do have lead, heck maybe they still do.
I don't think that would be the actual cause of the color changing, but who knows.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
I thought the reason red got the kibosh was cadmium and other heavy metals (after all, red was popular and made until 99 while lead was gone by what, 1978?). Yellow I think had the same chemical issues and while it was gone in 78 as well, I believe that was due to a feeling it was dated/poor sales, not chemical composition.

I could be totally wrong, but I mean, I've read all that stuff on the internet so it must be true.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »

I could be totally wrong, but I mean, I've read all that stuff on the internet so it must be true.

62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
I have seen a few red ones still available, or maybe that's crimson. The Simpson kettles were yellow, but I think I saw where someone said they didn't change with heat. There are color changing coffee mugs. I will remain hopeful Weber will continue to introduce some new colors. Maybe I should get a copper one before they are all gone.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »
The newer crimson Kettles do change colour.........if that is what you are after.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:56:37 PM »
I thought the reason red got the kibosh was cadmium and other heavy metals (after all, red was popular and made until 99 while lead was gone by what, 1978?). Yellow I think had the same chemical issues and while it was gone in 78 as well, I believe that was due to a feeling it was dated/poor sales, not chemical composition.

lead in household paint was banned in 78, but that doesn't apply to porcelain glazes.
(also read on the internet :P)

Craig

• WKC Mod
Yellow porcelain
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 04:37:49 PM »
The 1972-78 yellow kettles, like the old 1962-99 red kettles had cadmium in the porcelain which may contribute to the color change when heated (like the red ones do). As far as why the color was discontinued at the end of 1978? Mainly for the same reason lime green was dropped a year prior, poor sales and not all that popular, until we came along... [emoji6] By the late 70s dark green and dark blue along with red and chocolate were the popular color's. Lime and yellow were out of style by then. Sad because I love the yellows!

Now they wouldn't be able to make the 70s yellow due to the cadmium. The Simpsons, lemongrass (euro yellows) don't have cadmium in them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:41:34 PM by Craig »

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »

Maybe I should get a copper one before they are all gone.

Is copper getting dropped?

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 03:10:52 AM »
Thanks guys. I knew Y'all would have some info on the porcelain. I didn't hear that copper was getting dropped. I just figured that would be my luck, as I really like the color. Maybe stay around as I think a lot of folks like the color. What is the color change on the crimson? Does it just turn a darker red? There are some on Ebay for 169 free shipping. They are the Original Kettle Premium. Weber changed the handle 90 degrees from the vent as opposed to the OTG. Maybe the new bolt on handle would be less likely to rust but it is a departure from tradition. Also since the hook is under the vent usage doesn't feel as natural. You cant just slide the lid to the hook. You have to lift it to get past the handle nuts underneath. The handle direction and thermometer location changes were probably due to the new larger lid bail on the Performers. Wish I could go back in time and get a OTS in copper.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 03:46:07 AM »
My Y2Kettle I got of craigslist. Painted with Rustoleum Ultra High heat aged copper. It's semi gloss so had to top it with 2000 degree clear from Rustoleum. The stuff gets soft when hot, so must take your time curing it. Not as pretty as the Weber copper

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:58:16 AM by TD »

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 03:48:55 AM »
Anyone care to do a inline image posting for dummies tutorial?

Thanks Weldboy!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 09:59:14 AM by TD »

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 08:22:45 AM »
I use photobucket and copy the url and paste inside the post, apparently there is an easier way but someone else would need to chime in on that