Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber 7473 Hanging Meat Rack  (Read 13191 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Weber 7473 Hanging Meat Rack
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:09:20 PM »
Anyone here using the Weber 7473 Hanging Meat rack for the 22" WSM?

https://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/cookware/1556

Hanging meats is something that has been on my BBQ Bucket list. The Pit Barrel Cooker kind of sets the tone, but Gateway Smokers have a Hanger accessory for their cans, and Hunsaker Smokers has the "Meat Tree" and Hanger racks for their cookers.

I picked one up and couldn't get it unboxed fast enough to give it a try.  First cook was on my BPS Drum "Ginger" using the Cajun Bandit Stacker over the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket stoked with Maple Leaf briqs and Oak Wine barrel chunks for smoke.

I've posted a video on my Left Hand Smoke page and some pics of the cook. For some reason photobucket isn't being cooperative now, but my first impressions of the Weber 7473 is pretty good.

https://www.facebook.com/Left-Hand-Smoke-116187658462391/

I'm looking forward to using the hanger in my WSM, Cajun Bandit and Performer.

Stay Hungry!

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:51:46 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Weber 7473 Hanging Meat Rack
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 08:33:19 PM »
I will check it out. I want to try something like that in my CB Conversion.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

bama bbq

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 04:02:30 AM »
I use the hanging rack quite often.  It takes the WSM to the next level IMHO.  I hang meats on it with high heat PBC style and go low n slow for bacon, sausage, and jerky.

Sausage recipes usually call for something like a 130*F for a couple hours then increase the heat to 165*F until 152*F internal.  So for low n slow, I build a dual row “C” shaped fire and increased the charcoal half way thru to a stacked dual row to increase the heat and used the expandable cooking rack for this cook.

Here's another cook - Kielbasa in the back, Summer Sausage, Can Bacon, and Cotto Salami next, then the jerky up front:

...and some bacon

Here's a high heat cook before I got the hanging hooks seen above:

I cooked it in the 22" WSM over a bed of coals of one full large chimney of lit over a half ring of unlit with the cooking grates and water pan removed and set aside.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:28:00 AM by bama bbq »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 05:32:26 AM »
Hey, I'm still Hungry!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 10:17:02 PM »
@bama bbq   U R the pitMASTER.   Great use of the 22WSM and the hanging rack.  It ALL looks better than setup photo shoot foodie pic.  Congrats.                        SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 12:25:03 AM »
After seeing those pics if I had a 22 WSM I'd buy the hooks
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 04:22:54 AM »
Looks like it would work great for a high heat hanging chickens. Might have to give this a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 03:00:37 PM »
So with this, am I understanding that with this there is no need for wood for smoke?  The meat drippings on the coal generate enough smoke??????

I have wanted to do the pit barrel set on my kamado.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
LB, I would still put some wood in it. I might even use my foiled water pan to keep the drippings from the coals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 03:12:13 PM »
@Hogsy  I'm sold, but I only have the 18.5" WSM.  Fortunately Weber makes this for the 18.5 incher:    Weber 7472 Expandable Smoking Rack, 18-Inch

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7472-Expandable-Smoking-18-Inch/dp/B00FDOOOVO/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HSFKRBZN12Z5HB1WVAH

Will need to either make SS Hooks or buy some from PBC  :)

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 08:44:00 PM »
@Hogsy

After my first cook with the meat rack, I took an old flip side grate and cut out some bars to make a hanging rack and made some hooks out of some stainless steel rod I had laying around.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 09:05:38 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »
Here are some more cook pics with the hanging rack. Using my BPS can with the Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket and the Cajun Bandit Stacker.

Bone in Chicken breasts

Choice Tri-Tip

Who needs a PBC???

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »
So with this, am I understanding that with this there is no need for wood for smoke?  The meat drippings on the coal generate enough smoke??????

I have wanted to do the pit barrel set on my kamado.

A lot of eggheads are using rigs like these in the Kamados for that hanging thing.

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/large-big-green-egg/adjustable-rig/

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 10:33:03 PM »
What is the difference between this and putting the meat on the grill? I understood the first few posters pics - lotta stuff in a small space and it all gets smoked. But the later pictures show meat that would fit on the grill.

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2015, 04:52:25 AM »
What is the difference between this and putting the meat on the grill? I understood the first few posters pics - lotta stuff in a small space and it all gets smoked. But the later pictures show meat that would fit on the grill.

I think it is a step in between grilling and smoking. You meat is still significantly farther away from the charcoal then a grill so it's still more BBQ then grilling.

This is essentially how texas hill country BBQ is done. True hill country style uses a separate burn barrel to burn down hardwood into coals and you shovel those coals in big long pits and slow cook to meat directly above those coals. Fat dripping into the fire keeps a most steamy environment and you get the great hardwood taste.
Hotty Toddy!