Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brats And A Butt - A Trio Of Blacks  (Read 2122 times)

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Brats And A Butt - A Trio Of Blacks
« on: October 22, 2015, 06:26:40 AM »
Good weather is getting at a premium up here and I have the day off so a smoke day it is boys. On the menu today is a bone in butt and a couple packs of Johnsonville's. I was up before 7 to get the day going....I anticipate ending a little past midnight.

Nine pound butt rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express and Swamp Venom, (the first has coffee in it and the second has heat):

I have a snake in the WSM, Coshell with RO Blue Lump on top. Cherry chunks, scotch and rum cask chunks are around the ring and on top of the charcoal for smoke:

Gratuitous handle shots:

I'll add shots as the day goes.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
Re: Brats And A Butt - A Trio Of Blacks
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:02:24 AM »
Looks like you got'er all handled up Hoss. All you need now is 12er of PBR and a bottle of tequilla.
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »
Sausages on:

Grate temp on the sausages is about 165-175f:

Put the butt in a pan an hour ago. Here is it at an internal of 163f:

"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:46:06 PM »
I love your dog on lid watch!  "You touch that lid to peek and you are my lunch!!!!"
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »
I love my 18's....so bloody versatile:

Internal on the butt hit 169f....just before foiling...I added about a quarter cup of beer first:

Sausages are just starting to burst in their skins:

Onto the 18 to grill for a few minutes:

Done:

Internal on the butt is 174f right now.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:35:46 PM »
Looking great so far Hoss - you're in the homestretch ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
I hate it when the skin bursts ;)

Amazing looking meal Hoss, Can't wait to see the butt. How about a shot of the WSM snake set up? I've at my 18" WSM in my garage for way to long and and still haven't fired it up.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 06:17:24 PM »
Those handles are spectacular.

The food looks good, too. Is that a re-purposed Smokenator water pan I see?

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 08:13:12 PM »
Not only did I get a sample it was a fully packed bowl. No sauce needed it was dripping in juices with a very nice pork flavor. Great taste from the alcohol barrels. Don't think you could ask for a better snack at midnight than a surprise bowl of freshly pulled pork. Huge thanks Hoss.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2015, 08:21:07 PM »
The butt was pulled at 196f internal then towel wrapped for an hour and a half. When I pulled the foil back I was greeted with this sight:

Pullback on the bone was flippin' awesome. It came out mighty easy:

Not sure I recall making a better batch of pulled pork....the taste of this was.......heaven:

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
How about a shot of the WSM snake set up?

Didn't get a shot of my snake today. Here is one from the winter:

Wider and taller than today......and I now have Coshell at my base....burns clean hot and long. Using some lump on top of briquettes as burn assurance is a Buckie method that works real good. Wedging chunks around the ring is a Harry Soo trick. I will put smaller chunks on top of the snake....not many......and I usually use chunks from previous cooks that have some char to em' as I find they get burning clean fast.

Is that a re-purposed Smokenator water pan I see?

Not from a Smokenator but it is the same style they use - you can find them at restaurant supply shops. I toss it in as part of my wall holding back the charcoal when I want to toss moisture into my cooker. A pan below the meat goes in most of the time too.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:23:51 AM by MrHoss »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
Oh my god, that all looks amazing! The sausages, the pulled, awesome. I like the idea of the chunks on the outside more get have to try that...

Great cook!