Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chicken wings with vortex  (Read 5712 times)

SixZeroFour

Re: Chicken wings with vortex
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 06:59:18 PM »
Great looking wings Mike!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
what did you use for wood in the middle over the coals?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 08:15:59 AM »
Apple.  Had one in the vortex that burn up pretty quick while letting the grill get hot then added another chunk on top when I added the chicken. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 10:49:21 AM »
nice. i started adding a chunk of wood on top of the grate every time i cook. i rotate oak, apple & hickory - adds an extra bit of smoky goodness to everything, and a fist sized lump lasts for 4 or 5 cooks.

hoochiemama

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »

I finally ordered a vortex after seeing a previous post of the floured chicken wings that come out just like they were fried.  Last night a broke it in and couldn't be happier.

Me too!  It came in the mail yesterday. Bought some foster farms wings at Costco (btw the came pre-cut!).

Christened it today. Half with Memphis dust. Half with the included buffalo rub. Both halves turned out great. Even the wife who used to have a goto oven recipe thought they were awesome.

Shook the rub on. Then covered in flour.  Put 3 starter cubes inside the vortex then pored kbb on top. Didn't time it it seemed to get going pretty quick. Left it full open put wings in 20 min then flipped and went another 20. Maybe went a but too long but no matter they were fantastic and of course nice and crispy.

Very happy with the purchase and the advice on this site!  Thanks!

Only "problem" I encountered was that with so much grease dropping from the wings I couldn't even use the one touch!  Had to just let it run out then scrape the gunk away in order to turn the one touch.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Chicken wings with vortex
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 08:13:07 AM »
Update.  I have used the vortex several times now and have found that one full chimney is really all that is needed.  On my first cook I used a full chimney which doesn't fill a medimu vortex, then topped the vortex off with more coals.  I had to wait a little bit for them to get going so it took longer for me to start cooking.   The last two cooks I've just used a chimney full of red hot coals then did not add anymore to the vortex.  I got the same results or maybe even better results.   I think topping off the vortex causes the coals to choke out its full potential a bit.  I still got a solid 1.5-2 hours of very high heat.  Moving forward it will be one chimney of coals and thats it.  Can always add more later if doing a bunch of batches of something and needing to extend the high heat time.

A couple of pics from last nights wings (my new go to food for hockey game nights)

I tried out the Owens bbq wing seasoning.  I loved it.  The wings were great naked but even better once tossed with some wing sauce.  The vinegar powder in the seasoning gave the wings a slight blue cheese flavor once sauced. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:23:48 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 08:27:29 AM »
Looks good.  Been wanting to try wings using my Vortex but just have not gotten around to it yet.  After seeing your post I need to get around to it soon as now I'm hungry for wings.  Lol
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Paul Isa

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2015, 10:27:51 AM »
Hey MikeRocksTheRed,

Did you put anything on the chicken before the dry, flower rub?

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 06:44:37 PM »
@Paul Isa -  seasoned with something.  Not sure if this cook was the free Owens boba wing seasoning that came with my vortex or my usual go to which is seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, Montreal steak.  Ether way it was seasoned then tossed in a ziplock bag with flour, sat out for 10-15 minutes while my coals got cranking then onto the grill.  A lot of people like to put the chicken in the fridge for a bit after flouting, but I like letting them sweat and absorb some juices into the flour before cooking. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk