Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometer Recommendations?  (Read 4321 times)

micky

• Smokey Joe
Thermometer Recommendations?
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
Looking for suggestions on which thermometers to use with my One Touch Platinum. One to test ambient cooking temps on the cooking grate.  Nothing fancy -- maybe a simple, reasonably accurate and reliable one that sits on top of the grate.  Also looking for a digital probe type to test internal meat temps. 

Which makes/models do you use?

Thanks very much.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:33:33 AM by micky »

Jon

• WKC Ranger
Re: Thermometer Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:48:44 AM »
I use a Maverick 733 for a dual-probe meat and grill temp thermometer. It works well. I don't like the stock probes for meat. They are identical, larger diameter probes, and they make big holes in the meat and are a little difficult to insert. Kinda like sticking a pencil into a steak. And the Maverick doesn't always sync the base with the remote unit first try, but I've always been able to sync after a few tries. It seems to be accurate, measured against my other thermometers.

My stick probe is a LavaSoft Javelin. $25 from Amazon, and it does its thing well. Folds to put in pocket, unfolds to take temps quickly (a couple of seconds), fold to put back in pocket. No backlight. I have an issue with no backlight. I've ordered a Thermapen M4 with backlight.

I would not use an analog oven thermometer to sit on the grill. They are notoriously inaccurate, and difficult to see with the kettle lid in place.

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 08:58:29 AM »
I have and like the Maverick 732. It's a bit cheaper than the 733 and I've always gotten good results. For an instant read I have the Thermopop. I'd highly recommend them both.

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »
Thanks.  Im checking out the Lavasoft and Thermopop.   

I've used the 732 before and while its great, it's a little too fancy for my use.  I guess I'm old school and just don't like wired probes -- I've managed to fry wires in the past.  i don't need a remote or wireless functionality -- heck, i dont even need digital! I was thinking of a metal and glass item that just sits in the kettle and shows the grill temp, probably with a dial.  Im sure such items arent particularaly accurate, but is there a model that's "close enough?"

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »
heck, i dont even need digital! I was thinking of a metal and glass item that just sits in the kettle and shows the grill temp, probably with a dial.  Im sure such items arent particularaly accurate, but is there a model that's "close enough?"

Tel-Tru is the only brand I would consider using. Metal and glass thermometers are notoriously junk. You could be off 50 degrees easy. Oven thermometers are OK but quickly get filled with smoke, which makes them hard to read and possibly sticky.

In my experience sometimes cost doesn't really matter on quality and name brands just cost more. I do not think thermometers fit into that category. They are items where you get what you pay for.

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 01:36:33 PM »
Thanks Austin. I know it would be more accurate to go with a digital with wired probes, but I just don't like working with them.  Perhaps I could be educated on how to use them better, but so far I've always disliked fiddling with the wires and burning them up on occasion.  So I'm willing to trade convenience for precision and accuracy.  I mostly stick with steak, chicken and burgers, so absolute accuracy doesnt seem paramount to me.  Of course, i know that many here have a much different approach.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:51:05 PM »
Tel-Tru are metal/glass. They are a little pricier but work well. If you are mostly doing direct cooks vs indirect, I might suggest a laser thermometer like this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DMI632G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I have one and like it a lot and it's about $17. I think a metal and glass thermometer might explode if it was over direct heat, they work best for indirect heat. There will be a really big difference between the heat over the coals and off to the side of the coals so I'm not sure how good of a gauge even a really accurate thermometer would be for direct heat cooking.

Smokin Seymour

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:27:02 PM »
Maverick during cook
then final meat temp with Thermapen

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 08:09:26 PM »
Maverick during cook
then final meat temp with Thermapen

This is definitely the best answer but will probably run you $120 combined (not that steep when you consider better food and greatly reduced likelihood of burning or undercooking something). Look for an open box or discontinued color for a Thermapen, and the Maverick 732 is on Amazon for $60 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Grill-smoker-thermometer-Original-Magnet/dp/B00FQ1VTPI/ref=pd_sim_86_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=03HS47MGPAMABBXZDK1F&dpID=51DIdOZhfaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

micky

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 08:28:17 PM »
Thanks so much. It's clear what works for you all -- just what i needed to know. Thanks!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »

I would not use an analog oven thermometer to sit on the grill. They are notoriously inaccurate, and difficult to see with the kettle lid in place.
There's a few of us here that would disagree on the oven thermometer as we use to good effect! :)
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 11:42:09 PM »

There's a few of us here that would disagree on the oven thermometer as we use to good effect! :)

There sure are. I personally just wouldn't count on one sitting on the grill. I can't see it with the lid on.

I have had more than one oven thermometer, and I have one that for 20+ years is dead on accurate. But I really like using a wired probe - Maverick, Polder, whatever because I can see problems when they start happening. Not when I hear: "Hey! Is there supposed to be that much smoke?"

I know that professionals use analog thermometers poked through the sides of their rigs and make good food. And that some seasoned cookers can rely on the lid thermometer and make good food. I like using wired probes because they make me a better cook, but yeah, not everyone needs one.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 01:57:04 AM »
I'm very happy with my Maverick 732

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 06:54:02 AM »
I use a ThermoWorks Dot for grate  and meat temp. monitoring. I have a Thermopop for quick checks on smaller cuts. This setup works well for me.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 07:45:36 PM »
Just a tip for those that use oven thermometers. I use them quite often and you usually can't read the temp after a cook due to build-up on the face. When I go to start my charcoal for the next cook, I just put the thermometer in the sink and give the face a spritz with oven cleaner. When your coals are ready to go, just rinse off the thermometer with water and you're ready to go.