Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: old vs new cooking grates  (Read 5620 times)

dpb

• Happy Cooker
old vs new cooking grates
« on: October 11, 2015, 03:10:36 AM »
I have a 2014 22.5 kettle and recently rescued another 22.5" kettle on its way to the tip. I noticed that the cooking bars on the older (1996) kettle are larger and stronger than the new, equal dia. to the circumferential and reinforcing bars. Is there a light and heavy duty grate? or is this just a new design, thinner material in the new kettle? Were these grates always nickle plated or were they once stainless steel? Can you get stainless grill now?

Craig

• WKC Mod
old vs new cooking grates
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 06:51:40 AM »
I thought they made the SS grates for the newer (2008-present) 26ers but I don't think they can be had independently? Not sure if they made SS in 22 though. As for the regular old vs new grates.. Yes the older ones that came with the old Daisy wheel kettles and the first generation One Touch kettles before 2000 were thicker than the ones that came with the 90s BAR B KETTLE/00s-present One Touch Silver(Original Kettle). I would even go so far as to say they modern flip grates have gotten thinner than they were back in the 90s when they came out. My preferred cooking grate is non flip prior to mid-late 2000s when Weber stopped offering them as replacements. Now you can only get the flip or the flimsy OTS/OK ones. My favorite style is 60s-70s non flip. Built to last and can be restored to cook worthiness in most cases.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: old vs new cooking grates
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »
There was a thread where this was mentioned, a month or so ago. SS grates can be had by calling Weber customer service. Not cheap though, and not sure there is a hinged option.
Still need a 22” yellow

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 03:04:55 AM »
SS HW weber:

" P/N 80730 is for the 18.5" hinged SS grate. P/N 80728 is for the 22.5" hinged SS grate. P/N 90720 is for the SS O/T cleaning system for the 22.5". Sorry about the prices can't find them in my emails with weber. Just to check I placed them side by side with brand new plated versions and they are not as shiney so yeah there is a visual difference.

Thanks for the info.  I called Weber CS and confirmed your part numbers and availability.  Pricing for the SS O/T cleaning system is a reasonable $12.65.  Nearly spilled my cornflakes when CS rep told me 18.5 SS grate is $52.90 and 22.5 SS grate is $58.47!  They have them in stock but I'll pass at that price."
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 05:55:17 AM »
Wait they make a stainless steel version of the blades for the bottom of the bowl?

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »
Wait they make a stainless steel version of the blades for the bottom of the bowl?
I would like to know also

bump up
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 05:47:10 PM »
Yes they do make a SS sweeper assembly - I'll track down the part number shortly here...
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »
I really like the ss grate on my 26. It seems to clean up with less effort and it looks like it will last forever.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »
Yes they do make a SS sweeper assembly - I'll track down the part number shortly here...

If I'm not mistaken, it is part number 90720. SS assembly (used to?) come with OTG, Deluxe/Platinum (the one w/ the two side tables), and Performer.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 09:55:40 PM »
That's the one - thanks Bob!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

dpb

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 01:36:35 PM »
Thanks for all the info, know g all this I would love to make my own someday. Nice heavy duty SS 1/4" bar : )

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »
Looks like the actual part number with Weber is 90993.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 04:14:43 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, it is part number 90720. SS assembly (used to?) come with OTG, Deluxe/Platinum (the one w/ the two side tables), and Performer.

Looks like the actual part number with Weber is 90993.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting, I may have to try and get these.  I don't think my 2013 OTG came with SS ash sweepers.  One of the sweepers actually just got bent up when I was using it to clean out the bowl and didn't realize some fat and ash had formed a nice little chunk.  It made the sweeper bend up just slightly and it refuses to bend back into place and stay there.  So I now have a slight little air gap on the one sweeper.  I was just going to buy a regular replacement for it, but I wonder if the SS would be stronger, less prone to bending.

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 06:17:45 AM »
...but I wonder if the SS would be stronger, less prone to bending.

@Johnpv

From first hand experience, I can tell you that the SS sweeper will last way longer (forever), compared to the one you just bent.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 06:34:11 AM »
Well shit I'm going to have to order some then.   Where did you guys get yours from?