Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cook on Charcoal Grate?  (Read 4253 times)

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
Cook on Charcoal Grate?
« on: October 02, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »
I am a big stuffed pepper fan and am considering ways to increase capacity on one kettle. I know people have rigged up a second grate above the standard grate but has anyone cooked on the charcoal grate? Started an indirect fire on one side and used the charcoal grate?

A three tiered cook if you will.

Would it be too close to the fire? obviously you would need to protect the food from a dusty charcoal grate with foil or a pan.

If it could be done I am sure it has been already but I have never seen anyone do it!
Hotty Toddy!

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: Cook on Charcoal Grate?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 12:40:26 PM »
Melted onions usually get cooked on the charcoal grate in their husks. I always do vertical roasted chicken (AKA beer can chicken) on the charcoal grate (usually without a cooking grate in place) because of height limitations.

Potatoes, corn, and all kind of things can be cooked "in the basement"

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
I always do baked potatoes and melted onions in the basement. Stuffed peppers in a foil pan sounds like an excellent idea.
Still need a 22” yellow

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:01:48 PM »
And, of course, the perennial favorite  ...  drip pan beans w/ all the extras.                 SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:45:27 PM »
And, of course, the perennial favorite  ...  drip pan beans w/ all the extras.                 SJ

There is that.

Still need a 22” yellow

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 04:53:04 AM »
BCC …

… and, a three layered kettle …

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 05:11:55 AM »
Cooking caveman!

You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 05:27:25 AM »
thanks for all the responses. I am going to cook something on the charcoal grate ASAP
Hotty Toddy!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:34:05 AM »

Turkey in the basement.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 03:04:44 PM »
@jcnaz about how long did that turkey take?
Still need a 22” yellow

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
   My first smoke using the smokenator was just that, a three tiered smoke,duck sitting in the roast holder in the basement, spatchcocked chicken on the food grate and turkey parts on the hoover grill. Everything turned out great but boy was I nervous because I didn't do a test cook and that would have been a lot of meat wasted. My version of smoked turducken.
Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 10:59:28 AM »
Got inspired by this thread, so I did a chicken in the basement last night.  It turned out awesome.   I made a melted butter mix with some seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion poweder, lemon pepper, cumin, and cayenne that I poured underneath the skin.  Rubbed the out side with the same mixture.  Drip pan was filled with some chicken stock and a little bit of goya ham seasoning as well as the chicken parts.  Kettle lid showed between 325-350 most of the cook, probe on the cookie rack that I cooked the chicken on stayed between 250-280.  Used cherry wood for the first time.  Added the foil walls after about 45 mintues of cooking once I saw how cooked the skin was getting.  Pulled when probe in thigh area hit 165, other parts of the chicken were a good bit hotter than that but still came out awesome.  I did rest it in my oven for a good 45 minutes...heated the oven to 170 and then turned it off a few minutes before putting the chicken in to rest.  The end result was some amazing juicy chicken with crispy skin.  I am definitely doing this cook again and again.  I didn't really pay attention to when I started the cook or pulled the chicken off of the performer, so I don't have a total cook time to report.

How it all started (no foil barriers for the 1st 45 minutes:

Skin getting crispy...added some foil barriers:

All done!

It looks a little dry in the pic, but I can assure you it was not!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:10:40 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
That looks excellent, @MikeRocksTheRed !  Looks like a decent sized bird, too …. 4-6 lbs??

Good call on the foil barriers.
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 11:48:39 AM »
That looks excellent, @MikeRocksTheRed !  Looks like a decent sized bird, too …. 4-6 lbs??

Good call on the foil barriers.

I think it was around 5lbs.  And as far as the foil barriers goes, (I just ate a leg and thigh and both were amazing!) I think it needs to be left out the first 30-45 minutes so the dark meat gets some extra heat from being so close to the coal baskets, then place the barrier in.  My parents have always put the dark meat back in the oven for extra cooking when doing a turkey...I think the hot heat from the coal baskets is kind of a reverse way of doing my parents trick for giving dark meat some extra heat!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 11:58:11 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!