Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Spatchcocked yard bird, melted onions, and grilled cabbage  (Read 1506 times)

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Spatchcocked yard bird, melted onions, and grilled cabbage
« on: September 21, 2015, 08:11:54 PM »
I opened up a bird, put a little rub on it, and cooked it on the top grate with a big yellow onion melting next to the charcoal baskets. I had some applewood chunks for smoke. After I pulled those I rearranged the baskets and added some more Stubbs. I cut the cabbage through the core into quarters, and grilled it until the outside was charred and the middle tender. I put blue cheese dressing on my warm wedge of cabbage.

Turned out pretty tasty! I saw the grilled cabbage on The Food Lab, it wasn't an original idea but I liked it.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Spatchcocked yard bird, melted onions, and grilled cabbage
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 09:54:30 PM »
I'm in!
Simple, and I bet it was tasty.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

shadowjig

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 05:23:18 AM »
I just bought my first kettle on Saturday and made a pork shoulder which turned out great.  Now, I've got a chicken spatchcocked and waiting to be cooked.

What method did you use, the snake or just a bunch of coals to cook?  Also what was your target temp for the kettle?  How long did it take to cook?  For the onions, you place them directly on the coals with the skin on.....right?

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 10:05:27 AM »
I just bought my first kettle on Saturday and made a pork shoulder which turned out great.  Now, I've got a chicken spatchcocked and waiting to be cooked.

What method did you use, the snake or just a bunch of coals to cook?  Also what was your target temp for the kettle?  How long did it take to cook?  For the onions, you place them directly on the coals with the skin on.....right?

@shadowjig at least 325 for chicken or else you get rubbery skin, I was probably at 350-375. I filled a chimney half full (about 50 briquettes) of Stubbs and split it between the two baskets, then moved the baskets to about 10 and 2 on a clock (see below). It took about 75 minutes. In the photo below the red shapes are charcoal baskets, the yellow circle is an onion (skin on) on the charcoal grate between the baskets, the orange rectangle is a drip pan on the charcoal grate. The chicken goes over the drip pan on the cooking grate with the legs pointing towards the charcoal baskets. I like this set up but it certainly isn't the only one. Hope that helps!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 03:36:18 PM »
Great looking cook, all of it looks awesome!

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 06:08:10 PM »
Nothing wrong with this cook, love me some grilled cabbage and cheekin

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
Looks way good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 06:03:22 PM »
The onions also function as another heat sink, to help keep the temps stable. And then they taste good!