Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bought a bag of briquettes.  (Read 3758 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Bought a bag of briquettes.
« on: September 23, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »
Today I finally did it, I bought a bag of good ole Kingsford original briquettes.  Not a big deal you may think but I've been a die hard lump fan since my induction into charcoal.  I thought I should give briquettes a try so at least I'm halfway educated on my choices.  There is one thing I found really odd though...everything I've read on the internet talks about how briquettes are like half the price of lump, what I bought today was twice the price of the bag of royal oak lump I bought today.

Now I have to learn to use them.  I've read about how briquettes are better for longer cooks so I'll try something longer.  One question, if I add more during a cook do I have to light them first or just stick them on top of the already burning coals?  Why?

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
Re: Bought a bag of briquettes.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:53:26 PM »
just stick them on top. because a briquette is designed to smolder, not burn. it doesn't take a flame to get them going(you can see proof of this with the minion and snake methods), it's just easier/faster to get a bunch rolling using flame as the initial heat source. there are some plug-in electric charcoal starters that will also work to get a batch of coals going. I've never used one. Some folks like them, but I have no idea how quickly they get the coals going. Also, not only are you tethered to a cord, but once the coals are going, you have a really hot piece of metal to deal with until it cools down.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:57:58 PM by mrbill »
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:43:04 PM »
No need to light them when adding, just toss them on top of the hot coals that are left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 01:41:54 AM »
"No need to light them"
Thanks guys, that's what I thought but I've read where people wrecked their cooks by not lighting first.....maybe they were using the match light crap. 

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 03:35:25 AM »
You stick more than 3 or 4 unlit Kingsford Blue briquettes on top of a live coal pile in a 22 Kettle during a low and slow cook my experience is that you will get dirty smoke for at least 10 minutes. Ad it to the end of a snake....extending your snake........then you will get some but not nearly as much as putting it on to ignite immediately.

The reason I believe you get less dirty smoke with briquettes in a snake is that they get heated by your initial coal pile before they start igniting. If you put normal temp briquettes in the Kettle they do not have a chance to pre-heat and thus burn dirtier. I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:38:26 AM by MrHoss »
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:47:47 AM »
I've read on the internet talks about how briquettes are like half the price of lump, what I bought today was twice the price of the bag of royal oak lump I bought today.

I think alot of KBB loyalists stock up on the big holiday sales: Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot do two packs for about $10. Its definitely the cheapest deal going. I've gotten a few bags with some craigslist finds so i've used it a bit but i dont buy it. The nasty smoke is annoying but goes away precook, the real deal braked is the ash. I've used many different types of charcoal in my mini WSM, my 18" wsm and KBB is the only coal that ever choked itself out due to ash. I had a cook die out at the eight hour mark with plenty of fuel left but the ash was so bad it choked out the air despite a good shake. IMHO $9/bag for stubbs that has way less ash is a better value.

If I use just for cooking on a kettle and I let the smoke die down before I add food its fine.
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 11:04:31 AM »
i used stubs charcoal all summer. prefer it over lump.

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
I get 8-10 hours in my custom mini, and 18-20 hours in my 22 WSM with Kingsford...never had a single issue with having to mix, stir, add, or die out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »
Hey lumpy, I used to be a die hard lump man myself. Then I started to get so many inconsistent bags of lump that I tried Stubbs (all natural and all), and I haven't looked back. Long consistent burns, and with out the chemically smell associated with Kingford.

Because of the smell coming off Kingford when lighting I don't know that I would dump fresh on lit while cooking, but with an all natural briquette I've never had problems with off tastes.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »
I've never seen Stubbs here in Canada, could be I wasn't looking. 

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
I use K-Comp and i am trying Stubb briqs, i like the K-Comp for grilling and smoking in my drum.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 07:14:52 AM »
You've all convinced me to try stubbs...been a Kingsford man my entire life...but with so many of you WKC brothers using it there must be some magic there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 09:04:20 AM »
I've never seen Stubbs here in Canada, could be I wasn't looking.

It's not a very flashy package.....I've missed it in stores before.... 8)

"Now I have to learn to use them.  I've read about how briquettes are better for longer cooks so I'll try something longer.  One question, if I add more during a cook do I have to light them first or just stick them on top of the already burning coals?  Why?"

Here's the way I think about it:

If you want to maintain the temp you're at & increase the length of cook time, more or less, add in unlit....

If you want to raise the temp you're at (& extend some) add in lit.....

You can add K Blue unlit......just add onto fully lit areas so it burns right away, or, add to the end of a chain (snake) so it gets to heat up before catching.....the in between, adding to a partial / smouldering area, will cause "the stink"........

Stubb's is good for the long burn, but Blue K's will still work fine, just avoid getting to a dying fire situation...... ;D

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2015, 09:23:25 AM »
@Lumpy Coal , I have never seen Stubb's up here, either.

Look for this stuff.  It works great in a snake / fuse / chain.  Done overnight butts and brisket using this stuff.  Nice slow and consistent burn.
I have found it at RONA, and some grocery stores.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2015, 10:38:37 AM »
Thanks guys.