Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Restoration, *pics* first RRR complete....  (Read 10321 times)

Santo

• WKC Brave
Re: First Restoration, need help!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 12:56:30 PM »
Looking good so far!

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
First Restoration, need help!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 02:53:35 PM »
Was the lid ( dome)  handle bolted on when you got it ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 04:32:14 PM »
Was the lid ( dome)  handle bolted on when you got it ?

Yes sir @Idahawk
Here is the lid with code "P" stamped damper and the handle attachment before disassembly

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:44:12 PM by bcmillerkcco15 »
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
- Dude

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 04:34:48 PM »
Wow, that is a major difference in color between the top and bottom.  My red SS (ER - 1996) is the color of your kettle, but when it gets hot the entire thing and more the lid than the kettle turns the color of your lid.

In case you need to replace your propane tank, Ace Hardware has one online I just bought for mine and it works perfectly.  http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21226816
My performer came with a larger tank that just sat on the wire shelf when I bought it used.  I've heard a lot of people having problems getting tanks refilled due to age and my tank looked very old, plus I wanted a smaller tank that would hang from the grill and not take up as much space.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Harleysmoker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2015, 04:56:20 PM »
Looking good!

Simple Green won't cut that baked on stuff. If you get a can of Oven Cleaner, Easy Off, (don't buy the cheap brand, it don't work as good), you could of had the lid and bowl done in a couple hours. Take the Aluminum ash Ring and bucket off so the oven cleaner don't mess it up. Spray it on, let it sit for awhile, then use an SOS Pad or scrape it off. Repeat if needed till clean. Wash with soap and  rinse it good with water. Makes the job so much easier!

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Restoration, need help! *pics*
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 03:48:02 AM »
Kettle is clean, lots of razor blades, 0000, and simple green. Pretty amazing how good these things look after years and years of punishment. Next will be cleaning, polishing and reinstall the ash sweep. I was very fortunate that the thumb screw came out easily. The ash sweep handle was a chore, lots of soaking in WD40 and coaxing with a hammer and flathead screwdriver. I purchased a 7444 to replace the existing sweep and handle, but after looking at the originals I think they can be cleaned, polished and reused. Do you guys prefer to use the new 7444 modified or reinstall original equipment? 
As always, thanks for checking it out and offering advice.

- Dude

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2015, 07:48:18 AM »
Wow that looks great!  Can you tell me what you did to get the vent looking so good?  I have a red that has some serious wear on the top vent, and I'd like to get it looking like yours.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »
Looking good so far. I've found the razor blade method effective, but on the tough stuff, I prefer a 10,000RPM wire wheel ($10) on a 45 degree die grinder. I look like I just stepped out of a coal mine, but the kettle looks like it just came outta the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2015, 08:05:38 AM »
That's looking great! It matches your toolboxes.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
Re: First Restoration, need help! *pics* convert to modified 7444?
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2015, 12:06:29 PM »
@crowderjd, thanks!  I used simple green and 0000 steel wool on the really tough spots and warm water with a heavy duty magic eraser on the rest. Around the letters and inside the stamped letters I used an unsharpened pencil tucked inside the steel wool to move around the letters and inside the engraving.
- Dude

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2015, 12:10:02 PM »
@brewtownbeatdown I used that method on my UDS project, I was sneezing and coughing up crap from inside that barrel for a week. I know the coal miner look, it does speed up the process.
- Dude

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »
man you really got after that thing! You could put that thing in a museum!
Hotty Toddy!

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2015, 12:41:37 PM »
@bcmillerkcco15  "You should be using a partial mask". Oh wait, real men inhale the dust. Heck, I even take the safety shields off my cut-off wheels. Safety be damned when there's accuracy needed!!! 
I'll put the ShopVac hose in near where the dust is flying. Since that makes it a two-handed job, I rest the kettle in a plastic garbage bin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2015, 12:51:09 PM »
@bcmillerkcco15 thanks for the tips!  I have all that on hand and will be using it this weekend.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

bcmillerkcco15

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
@pbe gummi bear love that red man, it all matches my red Weber 22in .....
- Dude