Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Smoked cheese  (Read 1192 times)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Smoked cheese
« on: September 22, 2015, 05:58:18 AM »
Got a new kettle, nothing fancy, this will serve as my beater kettle.

decided to do some smoked cheese in it with the Amazen pellet smoker.

it was about 70 deg F which over time started to be a little warm as one of my blocks started to melt.

Cool little slightly faded black, ash pan is not era correct, I took that off for later use.

There we are, now I have to wait about a month to enjoy.

Colby Jack, Pepper Jack and Habanero cheddar.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:30:39 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
Re: Smoked cheese
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 07:21:24 AM »
I always do my cheese in a aluminum pan. I then fill another with ice and put the cheese pan in the ice pan and flip the cheese about halfway through. That way it keeps it cold and does not melt. It seems to always be like 90 degrees when I need to smoke more.

Nice MBH by the way...

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 03:33:28 PM »
One mans beater would be another man's treasure. That's too great a grill to be called a better! Cheese looks awesome, my wife keeps wanting me to smoke some cheese.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »
LB what do you use for smoke wood? And the waiting a month... is that just to let the flavour soak deeper into the cheese?... I don't know if I could could wait that long ;)
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:56:55 AM »
I let mine sit a week before I use it and I thought that was torture...I am not sure I could wait a month...

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 02:44:43 AM »
@SixZeroFour I use apple wood pellets, you can see them in the back of this picture in the bag

Re to waiting, the first time I did this I was cracking into it at two weeks but I have a decent rotation of cheeses in my Fridge so waiting a month is not a huge ordeal.  It is to let the smoke mellow out, seems like the same deal with smoked salt, that stuff that I sent to you Matt had a horrible smell after it was done but after a week or so it mellowed out and smelled real nice.

This is the smoker unit that I have
https://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8  contacted the owner, turns out he had (at the time) a stock of used ones that were half off.  When I got this one it did not seem used.  Anyway, I love the unit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:30:52 AM by LightningBoldtz »
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 04:35:35 AM »
I think I'm gonna smoke some cheese this weekend. I'll be using cherry in my amazen. Thanks for sharing.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
I would love to try my hand at this.  Could you do it with just a handful of briquettes and a couple of chunks of wood to keep the temps down?  How long do you smoke the cheese for? 
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!