Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Redhead genesis questions  (Read 6767 times)

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
Redhead genesis questions
« on: August 30, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
Ok so I saw this on craigslist and I plan on buying it and fixing it up a bit.  What model is it, what year, where should I look for date code etc and is itr hard to put the wood slats in it instead of the cheap looking plastic counter tops?

Santo

• WKC Brave
Re: Redhead genesis questions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
I'm not seeing a link or photo?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

joness105639

• Smokey Joe

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 03:40:08 PM »
That is a Weber Spirit 700 (Weber 571201).  I can't be sure of the year but mid 90s is reasonable.  The serial number should be on the top right hand frame rail, tucked under the burner controls.  Swapping out the plastic counter top surfaces isn't too hard but would require additional parts to accommodate wood (assuming you want it to resemble a Weber Genesis 1000).  There are plenty of gassers with restored or replaced wood slats and/or counter top surfaces.  Check out some of the restorations on here and search google, limitless possibilities.  The ease of such a transition would all depend on how you want the final grill to look. 

In any event, $20 makes getting this a no-brainer in my book.  Good luck with the overhaul and post up pics when its all finished.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:55:25 PM »
Like Santo said it's easily worth $20 just for the fire box alone, but I would offer $10 and see if they go for it. Swapping the tables to wood may turn out to be a bit more work then its worth. I would probably just clean it up, paint the box and lid sides and grab a set of new burner tubes and call it a cooker.
SMOKE THIS!!

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 03:17:05 PM »
Considering that burner tubes cost 50 bucks and I like the look of wood better anyway.  Would this be a better deal?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/5199772018.html

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 07:00:15 PM »
If the grates, bars and burners really were replaced last year, AND if there is no significant rust on the frame, then yes, that's a heck of a deal.  Especially if you are good with woodworking.

Considering that burner tubes cost 50 bucks and I like the look of wood better anyway.  Would this be a better deal?

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:27:38 PM »
If the grates, bars and burners really were replaced last year, AND if there is no significant rust on the frame, then yes, that's a heck of a deal.  Especially if you are good with woodworking.

Year old parts for those 3 saves ya quite a bit right out of the gate.  It sounds like it would be a better deal for what you're going for.  If ya have the means, picking up both grills and mating the best parts wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 07:28:44 PM »
Offer the first guy $10 and the second guy $35 and steal them both!
SMOKE THIS!!

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 04:36:13 AM »
Offer the first guy $10 and the second guy $35 and steal them both!

Agreed!

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
I wasn't in the mood to haggle so I went in for 20 bucks.  I never heard back from the other guy.  The grill I bought dates to 1999.  the burner tubes do need replacement but the flavorizer bars are good.  There is some ruust on the frame.  It looks like the box is mostly there but there is some erosion around the bottom. I dont have an easy means of posting pictiures as I dont know how to get pictures off my pohone onto my wife's chromebook and my laptop is having harddrive problems. 

Anyway, it appears that the grill is partly made of aluminum.  is that right?  It looks like at some point someone tried to paint the bottom black without masking off the top as there is some black overspray on the back. One of the two plastic trays are damaged.  I'll definately have to rig something up with wood slats somehow. 

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2015, 06:57:17 PM »
Congrats on the grab and good luck with the rebuild. 

The firebox is cast aluminum.  I believe (and I hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong) the firebox has a lifetime warranty.  It might be worth a phone call to Weber CS to see what can be done about the corrosion at the bottom.

Is the over spray on the red lid? If so, that should come off with some 0000 steel wool or a magic eraser. 

If ya get the tech figured out, throw up some pictures.  It would be much easier to see what you're working with.

joness105639

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 07:13:12 PM »
considering that I work a mere 4 minutes from the very factory where this thing was made, would it be better to call Weber CS, or simply visit the weber parts store?

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2015, 02:58:57 AM »
 Make friends with someone at that factory [emoji2]

CS sounds like your best bet in this case.  I'm not sure of the individual part numbers for everything you need, but tracking them down and searching online could become tedious real quick.  Then again, maybe your comfortable hunting online.

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 03:37:40 AM »

considering that I work a mere 4 minutes from the very factory where this thing was made, would it be better to call Weber CS, or simply visit the weber parts store?

Call CS, the parts store will not be able to handle any warranty issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH