Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Stacker Mod  (Read 13375 times)

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
Stacker Mod
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:43:00 AM »
So I've been working on a stacker mod, not sure if I'm quite finished or not but I thought I'd post it anyways. 

I've wanted a WSM for like, EVER but never seems to be in the budget. I've looked at things like the cajun bandit and like it but as someone else stated in a recent thread that "for the price(especially Canadian)I would rather hold off for a WSM".  I've also thought about making something similar as I am a machinist/welder and have access to equipment. For this project/mod I didn't want it to be something only people with trade skills/shop equipment could make but rather anybody could do with minimal tooling and place to work(I did it in my back yard...no garage).  So I bit the bullet and did it with what I had to work with at home, enjoyed it, it works, and it's a bit if a conversation piece. 

What tools I had to work with at home...average home tools, jigsaw, hammer, drill, rivet gun, etc.

Material I had to work with....

First, laid out the cut...

Cut out with jigsaw...

Cut vertical slits to allow for be bending...

This was all done to both bowl and lid to match.  Then clamped together and drilled holes in mating parts for rivets. 

Then, using fireplace window gasket ($12 at Rona) with adhesive back, I attached it around the outside of the rivet holes but enough that would be sandwiched between the two pieces.  I would have liked to have it go further in the joint but I figured it'd be a pain getting the rivets through.  Also, I did think about welding but like I said I wanted anyone to be able to do it.  Also, I did think about using a high heat sealant but went with this instead (builder's choice). 

I then removed the handle from the scrap lid piece and riveted it to the side opposite the already existing handle.

Then I mounted a thermometer and bezel I ordered from eReplacements on the front...at grill height. 

I now have a 22" stacker!

Not sure if I want to lower the legs yet or not. 

Wife picked me up a large wok that I use as a water pan/diffuser. I've also tried fire bricks. 

Had a couple good cooks on it so far. 

I like it a lot...still want a WSM but for the $40 for the gently used kettle and $12 for the gasket and $26 for the thermometer and bezel I'm pretty happy.

I'm not sure where or if this falls under the three R's but it's a step forward for me and repurposing a kettle that will now get used more then it ever was. 

I should also note and like to thank member 604 for trading me the legs, wheels and triangle from the modded kettle for an ash bucket and ring to turn this gold!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 02:47:44 AM by Lumpy Coal »

MartyG

• WKC Performer
Re: Stacker Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:29:57 AM »
That right there is Mod-Month worthy for sure!  8) Love it when someone does something never seen before. I'm preparing an announcement for this year's Mod Month (October) so watch for that soon. I can't wait to see all the creative ideas - like this one - that show up this year! Remember last year?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mod-month-official-master-thread!/msg136850/#msg136850

Marty
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:31:36 AM by MartyG »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 04:06:36 AM »
Thats awesome! What about a cover?  Will a 22" wsm cover work.?

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 05:44:05 AM »
That's a cool stacker mod!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:30:28 AM »
That's a really cool mod! If you are considering lowering the rig anyway, if love to see a midget mod or wsm style legs made from flat bar stock.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 06:30:53 AM »
I like that a lot!
Is the diffuser sitting on the cooking grate of the base kettle?
Have you tried using a second grate in the coal grate position on the stacker?

I have a few banged up 22.5" bowls and lids in my attic...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:38:47 PM by jcnaz »
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:16:54 AM »

Thats awesome! What about a cover?  Will a 22" wsm cover work.?
I don't know, I don't have a WSM cover to yet.

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 08:22:49 AM »

I like that a lot!
Is the diffuser sits on the cooking grate of the base kettle?
Have you tried using a second grate in the coal grate position on the stacker?

I have a few banged up 22.5" bowls and lids in my attic...
I'm playing with the setup, I've had the diffuser sit on the cooking grate on the lower unit and on the charcoal grate of the upper unit.  I do plan to pick up an 18" cooking grate to use in the charcoal grate position of the upper unit as a second smoking rack. 

I really am thinking about lowering the bottom unit but the working height all stacked us still quite good and I still like the versatility of using the kettle by itself...not sure yet. 

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 10:44:34 AM »
Very creative mod.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:34:15 AM »
Nice work Lumpy Coal.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

JDLones

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »
Very cool. Way to think outside the box!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love the smell of wood smoke and cooking meat...
Weber OTG 22.5 and Jumbo Joe
Char-Broil Commercial Gasser

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »
Thanks guys.  I wasn't sure how it would be received since I had to wreck a kettle to do it. 

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 07:34:39 PM »
Cool mod.!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 07:51:00 PM »
@Lumpy Coal, How did you decide on the diameter of the hole that you cut in the bowl?
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »
Thanks guys.  I wasn't sure how it would be received since I had to wreck a kettle to do it.
You RUINED a RARE Black kettle! :( :(  ;D ;D ;D  Very cool mod, very interesting!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......