Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pork Belly Ideas?  (Read 5741 times)

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
Re: Pork Belly Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »
So I cut it in half again. Wrapped half in foil with a little butter, hot sauce and maple syrup. Added a little rub and back on the mini. The other half I sliced about 1/2" thick, covered all sides with rub and back on the mini. I have 5 pieces that wouldn't fit, I don't have my second grate in, so I'm going to pan fry like you would do bacon

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2015, 12:31:31 PM »
My Costco didn't have belly :(
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
Here's the larger chunk. Cooked to 208 degrees. It's ready to fall apart. Still lots of fat left. Going to pull it in about 30 min and take out the larger fat chunks.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2015, 03:19:08 PM »
Ok all done. The larger chunk shredded really well. But was a little drier than I would have thought. I left it on longer to try and tender down the fat a little more and maybe that was a mistake. Flavor is great tho.
Not the burnt end style that Austin recommended are amazing. I put some sweet siracha bbq sauce on them.
If I were to do it again I would slice the whole thing before cooking and go with the burnt end style.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
Sorry for the ugly foil plated shots.  Not a whole lot of time, off to my parents for dinner.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 03:00:00 PM »
Looks pretty good! Glad the burnt ends worked out!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 03:49:17 PM »
Hey Brett, you did a real good job on this one. The slices look like candy on post #15. Which Costco did you get a whole pork belly from?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 05:56:46 PM »
Looks great, I've got plans for a mini too!

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 06:09:51 PM »
Couple questions for ya (and my apologies for sounding green as grass on these, I'm just getting into smoking, grabbed a SJ just today to turn into a mini soon)...

You said you wanted to roll at 225 degrees originally but ended up at 245 for a long while and then 208.  Did you change your mind during the cook or was the temp change a product of the amount of fuel?

What was the final overall cook time?

Was anymore apple wood added during the cook or did was it just the 3 original chunks?

Final shots look delicious, thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SixZeroFour

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 06:16:48 PM »
I actually really like the foil shot! especially the "candy" sitting right in the center!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 06:36:51 PM »
Couple questions for ya (and my apologies for sounding green as grass on these, I'm just getting into smoking, grabbed a SJ just today to turn into a mini soon)...

You said you wanted to roll at 225 degrees originally but ended up at 245 for a long while and then 208.  Did you change your mind during the cook or was the temp change a product of the amount of fuel?

Was anymore apple wood added during the cook or did was it just the 3 original chunks?

The smoker got up to 275 right off the bat. I had all the vents wide open at that time. I closed the bottom vent half way and the temp went down to 245 and hung around there all day. I didn't want to close the bottom vent anymore than that and I always leave the top vent wide open. So 245 is where I ended up, which was fine with me. The 208 temp was the internal temp of the meat when I took it off the smoker. I added one more chunk of Apple wood after I sliced the burnt end parts, and added another handful of charcoal too.

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 06:38:20 PM »
Cook time was about 6 hours

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 06:46:45 PM »

The smoker got up to 275 right off the bat. I had all the vents wide open at that time. I closed the bottom vent half way and the temp went down to 245 and hung around there all day. I didn't want to close the bottom vent anymore than that and I always leave the top vent wide open. So 245 is where I ended up, which was fine with me. The 208 temp was the internal temp of the meat when I took it off the smoker. I added one more chunk of Apple wood after I sliced the burnt end parts, and added another handful of charcoal too.
Gotcha, thanks.  Being new to smoking, would it be wise to keep a log of the cooks, maybe help dial in fuel/wood/time?

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2015, 06:54:18 PM »
My brother keeps a log of his cooks, but he uses a pellet smoker whick is a little easier to control and duplicate cooks. I''ve always just shot for a temp anywhere between 220-270.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 02:51:39 AM »
Sounds good, thanks for the tips.  Again, nice job on the cook, it looked delicious from the photos!