Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM 14.5 vs Mini WSM, thoughts?  (Read 10922 times)

blieb

• WKC Brave
WSM 14.5 vs Mini WSM, thoughts?
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »
What do you think?  WSM 14.5 or Mini WSM project?

I'm torn.  I like the idea of a small batch smoker, something we can take on vacation.  The WSM 14.5 seems appropriate.

But then I'm reading about all the Mini WSM's people make from Smokey Joes.  Seems nice because you can leave out the pot and grill.

Few years ago I wanted to make an UDS, just never got around to it and got a sweet deal on a 22" WSM.

I need to make a decision this weekend.  Whatever I do is coming with me to a bachelor weekend next week.
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Re: WSM 14.5 vs Mini WSM, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:20:37 PM »
Mini. They are cheap, fun to make, and work incredibly well. For a small portable smoker, you don't need much more.
Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:42:50 PM »
I love my mini wsm. Definitely does a great job; extremely pleased with the results I've gotten over the last couple-few years.  Never thought I'd even want a 14.5 WSM. That being said, I just picked up a 14.5 WSM on clearance @ Target last night for $60 (which is probably less than the cost to make a mini); for that price, there was no way I could pass it up. Now I can't wait to try it out!
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
@Bob BQ I was at Target last night and they had a Smokey Joe for $15 and an 18.5 for $35.  I have NEVER seen a Smokey Joe at Target even back in STL.  Is there any way to find out what Targets may have them?  What a great score!
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:44:59 PM »
@Bob BQ I was at Target last night and they had a Smokey Joe for $15 and an 18.5 for $35.  I have NEVER seen a Smokey Joe at Target even back in STL.  Is there any way to find out what Targets may have them?  What a great score!

They usually don't discount the SJ's. There are several threads covering the Target clearance & how to tell what they have in stock & for how much:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/target-weber-clearance-has-started-(ymmv)/

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/weber-22s-49-98-target/msg173597/#msg173597

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/weber-kettle-for-under-$50-at-target/

…and now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:50:27 AM »
I love my mini, it's my go to cooker for appetizers, moinks, scotch eggs and the like.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Jeep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 04:13:36 AM »
I love the versatility of my mini.   I love the portability of my mini.  I have craycorts for my mini.   I would not pass up the chance to own a WSM.

Jeep
22 Performer - Black - AA ** 22 OTS - Black - Cajun Bandit - AD ** 22 MT - Burgundy - EO
18 OTS - Guinness - DZ **  SJG - Black - Turned into Mini WSM  ** SJS - Lime - AT (x2)

tb80

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:51:25 AM »
If you don't mind spending the money, and you don't want/need a portable grill, then get the WSM. If you don't want to spend $200 and want or need a portable grill, build a mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 09:18:11 AM »
Thanks for the replies!  It's great to see all the MINI love.

I have a WSM 22" ... I found a WSM 14.5" for a good deal.  Have approval from Mrs. Blieb.
I want to have enough time to do the MINI right.  Since I'm going to a bachelor thing next weeekend, I'll need to do a couple break-in smokes this weekend to get it dailed in.
Thinking I'll pick up the 14.5", then go covert ops for the MINI because I can piece that together without needing to budget.

N+1!!!

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 10:55:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies!  It's great to see all the MINI love.

I have a WSM 22" ... I found a WSM 14.5" for a good deal.  Have approval from Mrs. Blieb.
I want to have enough time to do the MINI right.  Since I'm going to a bachelor thing next weeekend, I'll need to do a couple break-in smokes this weekend to get it dailed in.
Thinking I'll pick up the 14.5", then go covert ops for the MINI because I can piece that together without needing to budget.

N+1!!!

My thoughts exactly.  Why choose?  Probably the best way for both.

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 06:47:26 PM »
Too tempting to pass up.  For a month or more, there were TWO at the Walmart nearest to my house (~3 miles) at $154.  Then when the Mrs. finally caved, they were back to $199.  She actually bought me one covertly for father's day.  I returned it.  I refused to pay full price when it was selling for $154 just days earlier.

Thanks @crumbsnatcher for mentioning the Walmart APP in another thread, and how to see lower local price.

I saw the Walmart about 8 miles away (long drive, I know) had them at $154.  BAM!  They had 7 of these beauties!
3535 Apalachee Pkwy, zip 32311

Now I'll start casually acquiring MINI parts.  N+1.

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 06:58:21 PM »
@blieb I'm glad to hear someone was able to capitalize on the sale. I actually read about the sale on the slickdeals.net site. If I didn't already have an 18.5" WSM, I'd probably spring for one.  Let us know what you think after you get some cooks under your belt with this little guy.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »
Glad you were able to pick one up! I ran into a Walmart this evening (they also had a 14.5 at $154), to see if they would price match the Target $59.98 clearance price.  They would not. Worth a shot...

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 08:08:00 PM »
I'm probably going to swing through local Target this weekend just in case they have anything at insane prices.
And of course some $9 charcoal at Lowe's / HD.
So much to do, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time!

jfbincypress

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 02:33:12 PM »
Made mine. Fun to make, and only $125 with paint.