Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: NOT SO Great way to plug damper holes on WSM (for BBQ Guru)  (Read 34594 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
NOT SO Great way to plug damper holes on WSM (for BBQ Guru)
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:32:37 AM »
So I've seen pictures of people who have used aluminum caps for plugging the remaining holes in the damper since the Weber adapter for the BBQ Guru only uses one hole.  I just figured I'd pass on some info for anyone who is interested.  The size caps I used were 3/4 inch and fit like they were made for it.  They just snap right in and they seem like they'll just be easy to pop out too if needed, althought I probably won't ever need to.  Here's a pic.

The caps were $1.33 each at Ace Hardware.

By the way, I did the same for one of the side vent holes on a Smokey Joe Gold so I could use the BBQ Guru on my Mini-WSM.  This one took a 1" cap ($1.60 at Ace Hardware).  Sorry, I didn't get a picture of that one but if anyone needs to see it I can take a pic later.

So no more need for high heat tape.  Hope this helps someone.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:36:02 AM by mcgolden »

shoebe

• Smokey Joe
Re: Great way to plug damper holes on WSM (for BBQ Guru)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:50:34 AM »
That looks so much better than the tape, thanks

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
Re: NOT SO Great way to plug damper holes on WSM (for BBQ Guru)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:41 AM »
UPDATE: Okay, so it turns out this may not be such a great way.  I thought the plugs I was using were aluminum, but I tried a magnet with them and they were magnetic, so not aluminum.  Actually, I don't know what they are. My concern is that they may be zinc coated which isn't safe for cooking. Maybe not a big risk used like this but I don't want to take the chance.  Just thought I should pass this info on.

Looks like I'm going back to high heat tape.

DAMN!!!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 04:57:34 AM »
@mcgolden  Nice thread. I am running an 18 WSM and a PartyQ and dislike the high heat tape as well. I was considering getting a nut and bolt and two washers to screw together and cover the holes. One washer on the inside of the bow and one on the outside.  What are your thoughts on that set up? I have some left over gasket material I used to seal up my WSM. I was thinking about adhearing the gasket material to the inside of the washer I would but on the outside of the cooker to make sure it was a good seal. My only fear is that gasket material my not hold up to the heat if it is right by the charcoal.
Hotty Toddy!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 05:18:36 AM »
After I realized that my original solution wouldn't work, I considered doing what you're talking about using stainless washers.  I just haven't had a chance to give it a try.  I'm not real familiar with the gasket material so I honestly don't know how it'll hold up.  I'll probably just use the tape since It's not likely I'll use the WSM without my Guru.  So there shouldn't really be any need to uncover the holes at any time.  Although it would have been nice to be able to do that with the SJ Gold that I use for sometimes as a Mini-WSM and sometimes just as a Smokey Joe.

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 06:38:17 AM »
I just emailed bbq gaskets .com asking what temp their gasket is rated up to. I think the stainless washers would hold heat better then the tape and last longer. I am on the same page I don't think I will run the WSM with out the partyQ.
Hotty Toddy!

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 06:40:59 AM »
I think you have nickel-plated steel plugs which I think would be fine.

Like these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9563k81/=ylbc29

Galvanized steel is kind of chalky/dull looking, not shiny.

How about silicone stoppers stuck in from the inside of the smoker?
http://www.mcmaster.com/#9277k54/=ylbypk

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 07:23:47 AM »
I think you might be right that it could be nickel-plated, but is nickel safe or will I have the same issue?  I've read that nickel-plated cookware shouldn't be used but I'm not cooking directly on it.  I would love to go back to the plugs but I'm concerned with safety.  I also have someone with asthma in the house so I'm trying to be especially careful.

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 07:45:58 AM »
You may have forgotten about this....

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7436-Replacement-Hinged-Cooking/dp/B000WEPHKW/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1440171919&sr=1-1&keywords=Weber+7436

I'm guessing you have probably cooked directly on one of these before ;)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »
Sure, make me feel like a total ass!  ::)

But thanks for the help.  Looks like I'll head back to the store and repurchase those plugs.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 08:02:20 AM by mcgolden »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »
You could probably ask at the hardware store what they are just to be safe since there are galvanized plugs out there too.  I'm just going by the picture you posted which is obviously different than having the actual plugs in hand.

Anyways, good luck and glad to help.

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 09:30:55 PM »
UPDATE: Okay, so it turns out this may not be such a great way.  I thought the plugs I was using were aluminum, but I tried a magnet with them and they were magnetic, so not aluminum.  Actually, I don't know what they are. My concern is that they may be zinc coated which isn't safe for cooking. Maybe not a big risk used like this but I don't want to take the chance.  Just thought I should pass this info on.

Looks like I'm going back to high heat tape.

DAMN!!!

easy way to remove zinc from things-

Soak them in (Hydrochloric acid) aka Muriatic acid used to clean driveways or for pools.  It is found at HD.

Once the item is submerged, it will bubble.  Kind of like an effervescent (alka seltzer) . Once the bubbling stops, this means the zinc is completely off.

Use tongs to remove the item from the muriatic acid or you will burn your hand.  Dispose of the acid by diluting it with allot of water then dump in a drain.  DILUTING IS A MUST.
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2015, 12:19:04 AM »
Did it ever occur to think that the plugs just might be low grade stainless steel???

I know that mine are and judging from the price per that you mentioned they very well could be too.

Mine were from bLowes. I've been using them since 2011.

just sayin'
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:21:58 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 11:44:54 AM »
I just bought a set of nickel plated plugs.... haven't received them in the mail yet. I really don't think zinc will hurt you unless super heated way past bbq temps but I would rather be safe then sorry!
Hotty Toddy!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 01:04:59 PM »
I just got a set of these.

I'll be doing a brisket in a couple of weeks.  Hopefully no problems.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna