Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Should I get a stacker or a rotisserie next?  (Read 3973 times)

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
Should I get a stacker or a rotisserie next?
« on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:01 PM »
Well I know I will end up getting both sooner or later but for now I only have a budget for just one.  I'm looking at the Cajun Bandit 22.5" stacker to give me more room to smoke with.  I'm also looking at the Weber 2290 Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie for some roti cooks.  Which one would you go for first?  Another thought I had was to get the stacker and then buy and install a universal rotisserie kit on it.  My concern would be that the spit might be to far away from the coals if mounted near the top of a stacker.  Any other options I should consider?

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Should I get a stacker or a rotisserie next?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:55:15 PM »
i use my stacker far more often then I use my rotisserie (and I have multiple smoking options)

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:20:26 PM »
Roti's go for 40%-60% of Weber price on CL, around these parts, fairly regularly.   If it's smoker volume vs juicer meat, check out the stacker & CL the roti.    I don't own a CB stacker, I have to use my WSM.
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

grantw

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:41:15 AM »
The rottisserie is real nice for birds and roasts, my roasts now have that great bark all the way around and are real juicy

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
If you have a beat up kettle, try this.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/kettle-id-help/msg120998/#msg120998

Make your own Weber rotisserie for $30.00
    You will need
    1 Old Weber
    1 Universal rotisserie kit, home center about $30.00
    1 Thermometer for the lid about $6 at the home center. You will not know your cook temperature without this.

1. Drill 2 5/16 holes, one inch below lower kettle rim, in the center of the kettle parallel to the wheels.
    2. Run spit rod through holes, mount motor bracket on left side. Bracket will have to be shimmed out do to curvature of kettle.
        Do not attach bracket without shims for this will add heat transfer to the bracket and motor.
    3. I sawed off the non-point end of the skewer rod so only a few inches protrude when in use.

The rod goes into the motor on the left side. The bushing keeps the rod from walking out the right side.
       Questions?
       Thanks,
       E
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 03:23:22 PM »
I have a 22" WSM, a CB Stacker, and a CB rotisserie ring. My first choice would be to get a used WSM.  By the time you buy a Stacker with accessories and pay shipping you could afford a lightly used WSM. But if you don't want a WSM, between the Stacker and the rotisserie I would choose the Stacker first. I use my rotisserie the least.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:24:53 PM »
yes and yes
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:36:54 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback - keep it coming!  If I had more room to spare I would definitely do either the WSM or the beat up kettle rotisserie.  Room is tight and I really need to save it for a second future kettle  ;D  Does anyone think modifying a stacker for a rotisserie like the beat up kettle method would be viable? 

terrymo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 08:18:05 AM »
Yes, you could definitely modify the stacker and use it as a rotisserie. When you want to use it as a smoker, seal off the rotisserie holes with the foil tape used to seal heating and air con duct work. At smoking temps it works well and removes fairly easily.

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »
Update: One man's wife brings another man treasure!  I scored a barely used rotisserie off of Craig's List.  Poor guy - his wife wanted him to get rid of his kettle and cook with gas.  He said he was bringing his Weber gasser out of storage when he found the rotisserie (had already sold the kettle).  Now I'm looking forward to spinning some meat on the kettle. 

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 10:07:56 PM »
Uncle AL, that pic looks like the new version of Webers Roti  ...  great find.  Congrats.                 SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 06:48:51 PM »
Uncle AL, that pic looks like the new version of Webers Roti  ...  great find.  Congrats.                 SJ

It is the new version without the tabs and it is practically brand new.  I really lucked out in snagging it.

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 07:00:37 AM »
https://vimeo.com/138315779
Stacker with rotisserie mod si better...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
BBQ are never enough

mwmac

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 10:04:37 AM »
https://vimeo.com/138315779
Stacker with rotisserie mod si better...

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Very nice!  Molto bene!
22.5 WSM AH; RedSSP EE; Redhead EE; 26"C; 26" DE; WGA;Black MBH B; Outrider N.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 02:18:34 PM »
@Uncle Al  First cook on a Roti is traditionally chicken  ...  learn how moist the Roti keeps chicken.   Second (possibly the next day) is Prime Rib Roast.  Follow Meatheads directions about tying it into a cylindrical shape, monitor the internal temp closely, and stand back for the best smoked Prime Rib U ever tasted.             SJ