Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Buffalo Wild Wings inspired.  (Read 2027 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Buffalo Wild Wings inspired.
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »
I really like BWW's "desert heat" wings.  They are dry rubbed, and as a result, not nearly as messy as their "sauced" wings.  I thought I would try to get a comparable result on the Weber(s) using full sized drum sticks.

Chicken washed and patted dry:

About a tablespoon of Olive Oil and a generous portion of one of my favorite rubs.  I left them in the fridge for 3 hours:

Wapiti gets the call.  I decided to lightly smoke them for about one and a half hours at 250:

At the 2 hour mark using Pecan as the smoking wood:

It was pretty clear that the skin was still rubbery, so I fired up Bisbee with a chimney of lump to put some char on them:

The payoff:

Were they anything close to BWW's desert heat?  No.  Because the restaurant version is deep fried, I think it is difficult to get the same texture (very crispy) using the kettle. 

That said, they were still pretty darn tasty.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
Re: Buffalo Wild Wings inspired.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:50:34 PM »
Looks better then BWW to me!!!
SMOKE THIS!!

MossyMO

• WKC Brave
    • Owens BBQ
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 10:33:04 AM »
Nice looking cook though and I like your Mini WSM!
To get the texture of deep fried with a kettle use a Vortex and also vegetable oil mixed with a rub and sauce to coat your wings... I know you will be satisfied then with your results in trying to match BWW wings. The intense heat from the indirect heat from Vortex frys the oils on the chicken skin to get the deep fat fried texture.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:41:07 PM by MossyMO »

baconeatingzombie

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 10:14:11 AM »
You crisped them up right!!  They look awesome!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »
Good looking wings Winz. I have never gotten crispy wings without at least getting very close to the coals.....usually a little bit over a moderate heat bed of coals....not raging hot or they burn.

As per the Vortex....got one....used it and I still need to finish them over the coals. Problem with the Vortex is that high concentrated heat wants to burn them. I do better wings without the contraption.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Craig

• WKC Mod
Buffalo Wild Wings inspired.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 05:00:43 AM »
Looks better then BWW to me!!!

That's what I was thinking! Plus more meat! BW3's has some great flavors but the ones around Omaha in recent years are tiny with little meat on them. Great looking chicken Winz!

I also find coating the chicken wings and pieces in peanut oil along with my rubs and seasoning. The skin crisps up nicely even with indirect heat after 20 minutes or so.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:03:55 AM by Craig »

SixZeroFour

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 08:23:31 AM »
Killer looking Wings Winz! and where did you find that monster sized container of the EAT BBQ rub? online? The small ones just aren't cutting it anymore :) And have you tried their bbq sauce?
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »

@SixZeroFour

Killer looking Wings Winz! and where did you find that monster sized container of the EAT BBQ rub? online? The small ones just aren't cutting it anymore :) And have you tried their bbq sauce?

@With a K turned me onto a local place called BBQ Island.  They have tons of great stuff, including the full size EAT rub containers.

And yes, I have tried the "IPO" sauce.  Fantastic flavor with just the right amount of tang for my tongue.  My go to for pulled pork.  I hate to say it, but I am an EAT homer - their stuff really works for me.

If you want to go with a jumbo container of the rub, let me know an I will get a care package off to you.

Winz

In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Josh G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 01:38:54 PM »
Those look great, nice work!