Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Having Some Troubles  (Read 6203 times)

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
Re: Having Some Troubles
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 08:12:00 AM »
Four suggestions I would offer: First, (if you have one) cook the chicken on a Weber 22.5 grill instead of a 26.75 grill. That's an awfully big grill to use for cooking a single chicken. Using a smaller size grill will help concentrate the heat better.

@ramsfan is right that 26 is probably a dud. I'll trade you a gently used 22 for it :P

On a serious note I've found that high heat is better for poultry 325-350 even 375.
Chicken isn't tough meat that needs long slow cooks to breakdown like ribs, pork butt, or brisket.
Also poultry cannot handle smoke the way tougher meats can so a long slow smoke won't benifit it the way it does on those tough cuts.

I cook mine to 175 dark meat as my family seems to likes it a bit more done which it sounds like yours might too.  I generally use charcoal baskets on both sides with chicken in the middle.  I might but baskets slightly closer to the dark meat side since the breast needs less heat.

Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 08:27:18 AM »
I've got nothing new to add, but that's never stopped me.... ;)

the battle cry of the Internet
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 09:30:21 AM »

18lb. Turkey spatchcocked on my 26.
Lid therm ran 375° at first, slowly came down to 325°. Total cook time was only two hours and 20 minutes to reach 170° internal thigh.
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 09:36:23 AM »
You will note, JC's got grate therms on also.....  @jcnaz  ....how close to the lid therm were they?

My guess would be less, but closer to the same as the cook goes along....?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Bigdave

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 09:44:40 AM »
@jcnaz when id dinner AJ is not that far away :)

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »
You will note, JC's got grate therms on also.....  @jcnaz  ....how close to the lid therm were they?

My guess would be less, but closer to the same as the cook goes along....?
When the lid therm is 375°on my 26, the grate therms are about 350°
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 09:56:56 AM »
Agree with a lot of the suggestions you have, but I do disagree with @ramsfan about the 26 being too large.  You just need to set it up properly and you're fine.  I have cooked 2 bone-in breasts and a spatchcock very successfully with the 26.  You just need a good indirect setup.  I agree with him to the point that it's just a little different on a 26 than it is on a 22.

You can either use the charcoal baskets that came with your 26, and set it up with the bird in the middle, or you can do all on one side.

I set mine up with 3 bricks to help contain the coals and provide a little shielding for the indirect.  It works great for small cooks like this.  It also works great to set up a searing area for steaks and burgers, too.

4 hours is definitely way too long.  If you had temps of 170 in the thigh you should have easily had 165 in the breast after a rest.  If you're using a constant monitoring thermometer like the Maverick ET-733, are you using the probe in the center of one of the breasts, or just the thigh?  I would recommend monitoring temp in the breast not the thigh if you're not.  if you have a maverick or a thermapen, you've got accurate equipment, so trust your temps.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 10:48:47 AM »
Sorry, bud. That turkey is long gone!
I will be spatching a few of them this winter too!
Sorry, bud. That turkey is long gone!
I will be spatching a few of them this winter too!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
Agree with a lot of the suggestions you have, but I do disagree with @ramsfan about the 26 being too large.

I'm not saying a 26.75 kettle can't cook a chicken. You can cook a chicken on a 26.75 kettle just as easy as you can cook a chicken on a Smokey Joe, an 18.5 kettle, a 22.5 kettle, a Ranch Kettle, or a WSM.  However; out of all these different cookers, which one would give you the best results? A 22.5 kettle. That's what I'm saying.

This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
I hear you. I don't disagree.

I'm just saying that most people are not afflicted with Weberitis. They have one kettle. If it's a 26, then it's a 26.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 04:01:57 PM »
I hear you. I don't disagree.

I'm just saying that most people are not afflicted with Weberitis. They have one kettle. If it's a 26, then it's a 26.

I agree 100%. I think the 26.75 kettle is the single most versatile product that Weber produces.
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 04:09:40 PM »
I think that's a great way to put it. I was worried when I first got mine that it would be too big for routine family meals. It's actually been fantastic. I only wish I had bought one sooner.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 11:14:31 PM »
I agree.  My observations in Eugene.  When I use my Smokenator, I've observed temp differences of 30 to 70 degrees depends on what part of the cook I'm in between grill grate and dome vent.    Water or NO water.   Water helps maintain temps somewhat.  Moisture doesn't get into the meat, in general, but aids in smoke-ring generation (chicken don't need no stink'n smoke-ring).   NO water is a dry environment nice for chicken.   Without investing in yet more tools, use your cheap little over thermo right on the grill cooking grate (be sure to rub it's face with Canola oil so you can clean it up after the cook).  Forget about skin color, when the skin color looks about dark enough, then it's time to test for doneness.  You know when chicken is Un-cooked.  It's your chicken, cook it until YOU'RE satisfied.   Prime directive of charcoal cooking  ...  "Don't Panic".   Everyone has to climb the curve to get the knowledge necessary to reap the "outdoor" flavor of charcoal.   Keep cooking, keep reading, keep asking questions, AND keep a log of what you did.        SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

bwt

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 07:50:28 PM »
Things I'm sensing I need to watch:
@ramsfan 26 kettle is prob big for the chicken. The idea was to do two and I just couldn't get everything together in time. It was a large chicken though like 7...8 lbs. After spatchcocking I figured it took up a bit of room. @LaTuFu you are right that I only have a 26" kettle. When buying my first kettle I thought of all the family gatherings I would have and bought big
After 4 hours it was really still juicy so I know I didn't overcook it to death. Leftovers of breast were still moist a few days later.
I was really conscientious about not opening the lid to check on it and probably didn't for the first 3 hours. Just checked the dome temp and kept it stable.
I calibrated my thermometer about a month ago but could really use a good/fast instant read. I think I also need to make sure I'm placing it properly.
@1buckie maybe my temps were off...I thought I had read that temps at the grate were like 25-50 degrees higher than at the dome. I guess I need to get something to monitor the temps at the grate.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will post pics next time to be more explicit and will continue to try to master this.  If anyone else has suggestions, especially specific experience with the smokenator insert, I'd appreciate the feedback

bwt

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 08:00:21 PM »
@ramsfan, unfortunately they don't make a rotisserie accessory for the 26" yet. I did buy a rotisserie this spring for my Weber Genesis and have LOVED using it. Have had really great results with chickens and boneless leg of lamb