Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ChefSteps: Line your bowl with foil = Better crust..  (Read 7319 times)

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
Re: ChefSteps: Line your bowl with foil = Better crust..
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:35 AM »
HEAT FOIL CAREFUL

"...foils are fragile and are sometimes laminated to other materials such as plastics or paper to make them more useful."

"...difference in the finish has led to the perception that favouring a side has an effect when cooking. While many believe that the different properties keep heat out when wrapped with the shiny finish facing out, and keep heat in with the shiny finish facing inwards, the actual difference is imperceptible without instrumentation...

Foil may have a non-stick coating
..."

^^ thank you wikipedia ^^

The actual reflectivity of aluminium foil is approx 85%, I would assume clean porcelain coated steel would be fairly close as it has thickness to hold & reflect more than foil measured by thousandths of an inch thickness
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:23:05 AM by Metal Mike »
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »
I will subscribe to this thread and wait to see if anybody tries it. heck all it cost is a try and some foil. I may do it the next time I cook steaks. Regarding trying to get a crust on something like a steak, I have also tried reverse searing. I am looking for that perfect way to cook steaks on a Weber. I do agree with the video, you just can't get a Weber type grill hot enough.

It's really not difficult to get a Weber up to 800+ degrees.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 03:52:37 PM »
My dad ruined his Genesis once by using foil to clean his grates

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 06:26:54 AM »
Re: Foil

"The surface of aluminum has the ability NOT TO ABSORB, but TO REFLECT 95% of the infrared rays which strike it. Since aluminum foil has such a low mass to air ratio, very little conduction can take place, particularly when only 5% of the rays are absorbed".

I got the above from the below link:

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/physics-of-foil.htm

Foil is probably the best material to radiate/reflect heat and if you look around the internet it used by many in barbeque set-ups.
I am not into physics but know from experience it works great as a heat shield.  As for burning up, it will not burn up when used in low and slow smoking.  If you line your grill with it like shown at chef steps it will not burn or melt as it is reflecting the heat. It might burn if you place lit charcoal on it, but I am not sure why anyone would want to do this.  The Reynolds foil you buy at the supermarket is not toxic.

My own preference is to generate searing heat using charcoal rails or Weber baskets and doubt I would waste foil on the chef steps set up.  But for low and slow cooking foil is the best heat shield (e.g.) if you want to keep your food that is closest to the charcoal from being burned on one side or to re-direct heat.  I can easily get a 5 hour burn at 250 without reloading using a Weber basket, charcoal rails, and a foil heat shield. With only the charcoal rails as described in previous posts I can set up a chamber that is larger and holds more charcoal than the smokenator or the SnS.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 12:43:23 AM by BBQ Jack »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 07:04:15 AM »
Ask Z about reflectivity......  @BBcue-Z

From here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/my-previous-rotis-turkey/msg139775/#msg139775

He uses it for all kinds of setups to reflect & contain heat.....

When foil comes into too high of heat contact, it will off-gas some noxious fumes......I've had people refuse to eat stuff wrapped & cooked in it..............

There is some science (& risk) to the thing of burning it to the point it disintegrates.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 08:09:18 AM »
I have never seen anything like that before.  I agree, I would not wrap food with it and then grill. Buckie, your profile pic, is that your girlfriend?

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
I have never seen anything like that before.  I agree, I would not wrap food with it and then grill. Buckie, your profile pic, is that your girlfriend?

I wrap taters & corn all the time......usually, it's not in direct contact with the coal, except for potatoes sometimes.........common sense prevails in the uses for foil.............

Not my girlfriend, just some gal eating BBQ''d corn.......likely cooked in foil...... 8)

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 02:53:12 PM »
foil reflects infrared, but not convection.
And not ALL of the radiant heat from charcoal is infrared

The inside of the grill is going to reflect radiant heat as well, not as efficiently as the foil - but its going to bounce around the kettle.
Most of the cooking in a kettle is done via convection if you're cooking indirect.
If you're cooking direct, foil under the coals or around the inside of the bowl will reflect more of the radiant heat - but I doubt it will be enough to make a difference.
I'll give it a try though.

effinUker

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 08:23:53 AM »
Just think how quickly foil cools off when you cover food with it on your grill or oven, it is because the heat is quickly redirected from it.

Foil cools off quickly because it's thin, it doesn't have enough mass to stay hot.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 10:36:38 AM »

Yup.  @Troy , I buried the needle on my Performer yesterday using lump.  Beauty!

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 03:14:11 AM »

Yup.  @Troy , I buried the needle on my Performer yesterday using lump.  Beauty!

I did the same on Saturday and not specifically on purpose :) :) :)
Looks like its Cajun Blackened Chicken tonight...
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 08:26:11 AM »
...When foil comes into too high of heat contact, it will off-gas some noxious fumes......I've had people refuse to eat stuff wrapped & cooked in it..............

There is some science (& risk) to the thing of burning it to the point it disintegrates.....
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 08:23:30 AM »
The kettle design forces a circulation of the heat , the foil isn't going to stop that circulation and suddenly force it inward to the meat .

What this guy discovered is my trick for cooking greasy burgers and meatloaf on the kettle , line the sides of your bowl with foil and it makes clean up a snap :)
I'll just stick you using my tongs and searing the sides of my meat the old fashioned way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

J Buck

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2015, 04:57:47 AM »
Agree. Good Fuel + Air + Time to preheat = Burn it if you a'int watching. And I'm lousy at math.
JB

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2015, 12:21:07 PM »
This only works if you're above the equator.
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS