Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ChefSteps: Line your bowl with foil = Better crust..  (Read 7325 times)

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:29:44 PM by ClubChapin »

austin87

• WKC Ranger
Re: ChefSteps: Line your bowl with foil = Better crust..
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
You beat me to it, I was going to ask about this as well. If this works (I'm skeptical) then it would theoretically also protect vintage kettles from crazing.

I guess the only way to test it is with an IR thermometer? I'll see if I can figure out a good way to test it and actually get to it.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »
I guess the only way to test it is with an IR thermometer? I'll see if I can figure out a good way to test it and actually get to it.

How about a side by side shoot out with this as the only variable?

Could exaggerate the effect with a control kettle that is especially krusty.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:18:20 PM »
I'll bet a dollar that it doesn't do shit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 08:42:17 PM »

Always the optimist... [emoji14]

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »
Look I'm all for trying out new things but this is a bust.

In theory this would work but in reality I don't see this adding any value to a high heat sear on a short cook. Just my opinion - maybe I'm the idiot for not ever doing this but I'll take my chances.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Keep it simple stupid

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 02:41:22 AM »
I have to side with Troy and Matt here.  I would imagine a simple test of a thermometer at your cooking grate would tell you this isn't doing anything, or not making enough of a different to take the time to do it.

BBQ Jack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 03:09:47 AM »
Since aluminum foil is excellent at radiating heat I think it would have the effect that they say.  Just think how quickly foil cools off when you cover food with it on your grill or oven, it is because the heat is quickly redirected from it.  It also radiates light similar to a mirror. If you are not careful when you line the grill with it on a sunny day you might get the sun light directed straight to your eyeballs.  If this happens you will be the first to know.

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 04:29:30 AM »
Krusty meat means should've been fresher/refrigerated, not a goal of article...

"Here's why this works: Typically, the dark sides of your grill will pull heat away from the heat source and absorb it"

No, typically you preheat the damn thing (benefits food & heat helps clean too)

& FOIL BURNS EASY & BREAKS DOWN WHEN OVERHEAT
(when it is brittle that means you're breathing in & eating it's former resilience)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 04:34:00 AM »
I will write an article about Microwaving Lighter Fluid & see if these guys will publish it (chefsteps.poo)
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 05:37:51 AM »

Always the optimist... [emoji14]
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 05:47:07 AM »
Since aluminum foil is excellent at radiating heat I think it would have the effect that they say.  Just think how quickly foil cools off when you cover food with it on your grill or oven, it is because the heat is quickly redirected from it.  It also radiates light similar to a mirror. If you are not careful when you line the grill with it on a sunny day you might get the sun light directed straight to your eyeballs.  If this happens you will be the first to know.

The inside of the kettle is really good at radiating heat as well.  I really don't think this is going to make enough of a difference to make the effort worth it.  I'm not a scientist but I'm not sure if the angle that this would reflect heat back at the meat would actually cause it to hit where it needs to to help create the crust on the meat.   It seems to me the radiant heat this would create would be more around the meat than directly hitting the top and bottom of the meat where you're trying to create the crust. 

Texmech

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 05:55:01 AM »
I will subscribe to this thread and wait to see if anybody tries it. heck all it cost is a try and some foil. I may do it the next time I cook steaks. Regarding trying to get a crust on something like a steak, I have also tried reverse searing. I am looking for that perfect way to cook steaks on a Weber. I do agree with the video, you just can't get a Weber type grill hot enough.
Tex

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 06:39:21 AM »
I was just being a smartass with Troy...

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:11 AM »
I will subscribe to this thread and wait to see if anybody tries it. heck all it cost is a try and some foil. I may do it the next time I cook steaks. Regarding trying to get a crust on something like a steak, I have also tried reverse searing. I am looking for that perfect way to cook steaks on a Weber. I do agree with the video, you just can't get a Weber type grill hot enough.

If you aren't getting hot enough you aren't using enough fuel or your fuel isn't getting enough oxygen (or you are using KBB - that crap doesn't burn hot at all). Pile briquettes 2 deep in a tight pack or use more lump. Make sure meat is dry, not wet (wet steams). The notion that a Weber doesn't get hot enough for a good sear is ridiculous. With the right fuel, enough oxygen, and the right fuel configuration, 1000 degrees at grate level is easily within reach*

*Please do not do this on vintage kettles!!!