Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Bone In Chicken Breasts on the 26  (Read 1004 times)

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
Bone In Chicken Breasts on the 26
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »
Sunday we decided to go for chicken breasts, after Saturday's mildly disappointing results with the Boston Butt.  (Not the fault of the kettle, fortunately!)

http://imgur.com/a/8BucH Album link

Sorry I didn't remember to take a plated pic.

We used lump charcoal for this cook, one full chimney.  This produced a lot of heat at first, at one point I had to remove the lid a couple of times to keep the temp down.  I tried to keep temp at 350 as much as possible.

Put the chicken on, put the 733 probe in.  We decided to test the "sear first or sear last" on this cook.  We seared one breast right away, about 2 minutes each side, then put it on the indirect heat.  The other breast, we put on indirect first, then when both breasts got to 150, we seared both sides until it was 165.  About 40-45 min cook time on the indirect, 5 min +/- searing to temp.

The breasts came out beautifully.  Let them rest for 5 minutes, served and they were tender and delicious.  We didn't notice a difference in moisture between the two, but both of us agreed the "seared last" breast seemed to have more (and better) grilled/charcoal flavor.

Marinade/rub:
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
1-2 tbs Worcestershire sauce (or to taste)
1 tsp (or to taste) Garlic powder
Dash of Kosher salt. 
Mix well, then baste on both sides of the breasts.

After the baste, breasts were coated with onion powder, black pepper, and paprika.

I basted both sides again halfway through the cook when I turned them.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM