Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: this is what drives me nuts about KCBS and all the internet bbq snobbery  (Read 10724 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: this is what drives me nuts about KCBS and all the internet bbq snobbery
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
I would love to see a BBQ competition where competitors are given the tools that the average person has at their disposal.

Aren't there 'backyard' BBQ comps where that is the requirement?  ie, kettles, WSM, etc.

Chopped pit master championship. Finalie is this week. They get a 26", a wsm, a gasser and a hot plate.
Still need a 22” yellow

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 05:53:45 AM »
For me, the criteria is:
  • Lifestyle and Fitness in Swimsuit - 15%
  • Do you have a personality that is fun to be around - 70%
  • Are you a little bit slutty - 15%

Just about fell off my chair reading that last one Winz!!! I think you and me would get along.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Jack Fate

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 02:50:41 PM »
Ok googled kcbs I'll stick with SR on pbs

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 04:18:33 PM »

Just about fell off my chair reading that last one Winz!!! I think you and me would get along.

I have no doubt!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 04:48:53 AM »
Yeah I win these every weekend!!! Seriously though I would love to watch a show that wasn't hung up on
the one bite judging system. How about they feed a crowd and let them decide! And the crowd is made up of
people that aren't related to the cooks! Who wouldn't show up to be on TV and eat free BBQ
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »
I dunno?

I'm kinda into using injecting, marinating, Jaccarding, curing agents, Amino's, Phosphates, glutamates, MSG, layering rubs, combining sauces and cooking meats spot on for ungrateful and opinionated professional eaters. I had my 15 minutes of fame!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 02:47:06 AM »
Troy I'm right there with you.  The competitive BBQ world is a weird one to me.  I love to watch the shows about it, but I don't think I'd want to eat any of the food.  I think it's the whole 1 bite mentality thing.  I've seen a few competitors who say they do all this stuff to have an amazing one bite, but there's no way anyone could sit down and eat a meal of this stuff.  You'd be sick in a heartbeat.  The FBA seems a little less intense about that compared to KCBS, but not hugely different.

I'd love to see a BBQ competition, or group that focused on edible, real world BBQ, and not the shit they do at a usual KCBS competition. 

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 05:59:17 AM »
I think those BBQ shows are entertaining ,but send the wrong  message about how to BBQ. Some of the best BBQ I've eaten or made only had salt , pepper and  smoke on it , it was amazing. I don't need rubs and injections or BBQ sauce that tastes like candy. People watch these shows and think that's what BBQ should be. I'd love to see more honest BBQ shows. I've been watching BBQ with Franklin on pbs " I know his anti-weber ", but he has great honest BBQ

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »
Cook and eat it the way YOU like it. Thats my smoking and grilling philosophy. My ribs would never win a competition, nor my pork shoulder not my brisket either, my chicken would come in last place. But I like it, my family likes it, and dogone it, that makes it right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Couldn't agree more.  Every has different tastes and what we think tastes good.  I make mine to what I like, my family and friends like.  I love watching comps but could never do well at them.  On top of that most of the stuff guys are grilling are on rigs that cost more than every grill I own put together.  I love to go to a comp that is for Weber kettles only and no electronics on them and then see how the food turns out.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

bigredmf

• WKC Brave
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »
Why have a public barbecue competition where no one cept for judges can taste the barbecue?

I prefer the ones we have
Locally where they smoke a thousand racks over three days and then the customers decide.

Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

80DGY

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 06:03:59 AM »
Since when does a contest represent how we should think of food?

For example, The Miss America judging is based on:
  • Evening Wear - 20%
  • Talent - 35%
  • Private Interview - 25%
  • On-Stage Question – 5
For me, the criteria is:
  • Do you have a personality that is fun to be around - 70%
  • Are you a little bit slutty - 15%
To each their own....

Winz

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »
Great thread!
Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »
it's Epic...
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
I dunno?

I'm kinda into using injecting, marinating, Jaccarding, curing agents, Amino's, Phosphates, glutamates, MSG, layering rubs, combining sauces and cooking meats spot on for ungrateful and opinionated professional eaters. I had my 15 minutes of fame!
A KCBS BBQ competition cook's opinion of BBQ Judges?
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 07:31:32 AM »
I would a BBQ competition judged by the top restaurant pit masters around the country... not KCBS trained judges etc. Have these people judge the food based on taste and what people like. not presentation/sauce etc.
I watched the franklin BBQ on competition and couldn't believe they skinned their chicken. The reattached the skin to the chicken to cook because that's how the judges likes it haha
Hotty Toddy!