Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: When not grilling, what type of cookware do you use?  (Read 4489 times)

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
Re: When not grilling, what type of cookware do you use?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:56 PM »
I have all-clad pots and pans (wedding gift now nearly 15 years old), and I have a 10 in and 12 in lodge cast iron skillet.  I got rid of my nonstick pans.  the seasoned cast iron is nearly as good.  The one Lodge product I DON'T like is the cast iron grill/griddle.  Too heavy, low sides, pain to clean.  Overall, I've been very happy with All-Clad and Lodge.
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 03:32:57 AM »
@crowderjd  I have tried to like the cast iron grill/griddle as well. With the shallow sides it is difficult to safely cook a large quantity of bacon; emptying the hot grease is a pain. The only use I found it to be good for is making panini or grilled cheese, I'll heat up a cast iron skillet and use that for the press.

Glad to hear people use and have had their clad cookware for a while. I picked up a tri-ply set of pots and pans and looking forward to putting em to use.

I picked up this set: http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12N-MultiClad-Stainless-12-Piece/dp/B009JXPS6U if others are interested in trying non-stick stuff out.

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
@jdefran I've even given up on using the Lodge grill/griddle as a press.  I just use my 10 inch pan in the 12 inch pan when making paninis...especially my favorite grilled sandwich, the Cuban.

Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

jamesnomore

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2015, 07:52:09 PM »
Le Creuset enameled cast iron dutch ovens are amazing. I use the 2 qt on my stove constantly, I also have a 5qt and 7qt if I'm looking for something bigger. All Clad stainless for fry pans, with a couple non sticks in the mix.
WTB: Genesis Jr.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »
We love All-Clad and also have one large le Crueset dutch oven.  I bought all of it at estate sales, eBay, and CL. 
One of the charcoal people.

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 06:50:16 AM »
We have a collection of SS cookware my mom gave us, and a few cast iron pieces.  We had some non-stick stuff my GF's mom gave her but I'm not a fan of it.  Has anyone tried the ceramic pans that are supposed to be non-stick?  Supposedly they don't have the issues the Teflon and such non-stick pans do.

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 08:05:14 AM »
Has anyone tried the ceramic pans that are supposed to be non-stick?  Supposedly they don't have the issues the Teflon and such non-stick pans do.

I've got this one, am pretty happy with it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5HE646?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

This was one of the pricier ones, I bought it as I have a couple of knives from this company that work well.  I figure they have ceramic pretty figured out.

I think that the ceramic non-sticks are not quite as non-stick as the teflon and are more forgiving to overtemp and scratching, however, they are still delicate compared to SS or anondized or copper or CI, etc.  They do wear out and they can scratch and overheat.  I think over time, they lose the nonstick too.

I do find that I still use a good amount of fat, but that might be more that I like it for flavor than I need it for non-stick performance.

1 yr in, my ceramic ns pan is working well and still looks like new.

apt323

• WKC Brave
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 11:31:09 AM »
My wife doesn't let me cook inside she says that I am to messy!
WANTED - Colored Jumbo Joe (18")

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 11:31:05 PM »
One SS heavy copper bottom skillet, 1 No. 9 Griswold, 2 No 8 Wagner's, 2 No. 4 Wagner's, 1 5 qt CI Dutch Oven (early Lodge), 1 5 qt Nordic enamel-ware Dutch Oven, many various SS pots with copper bottoms.   I cook anything in my CI, it's what it's for.  Never lost any seasoning to tomato acid, etc.  I don't wash w/ soap though, I use chain-mail.

My wife lets me cook anywhere and she cleans up the mess  ...  she's a Godsend.        SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".