Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyone here used a Char Q?  (Read 2130 times)

charred

• WKC Performer
Has anyone here used a Char Q?
« on: August 02, 2015, 06:58:27 PM »
What did you think of it?

They are so "non-Weber", I don't know what to think of them. Based on the fact that they're out of production, I guess I'm not alone.

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
Re: Has anyone here used a Char Q?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:49:01 AM »
I've been looking for one for a while.  I'll give one a try.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:23:14 AM »
one available in MI for $100, I am a big fan of the Q gassers, not so sure a q charcoal is what I would value.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
Yeah, I love my Q gas.

My guess is, if someone really liked their charcoal grill, but wanted portability, they probably couldn't see what a Char Q could do that a SJ couldn't--for a whole lot less.
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »
Yeah, I love my Q gas.

My guess is, if someone really liked their charcoal grill, but wanted portability, they probably couldn't see what a Char Q could do that a SJ couldn't--for a whole lot less.

That's a great point. The Char-Q has to compete with the CGA, JJ, and SJ at a much lower price point. It makes more sense to position them vs. the gassers. I'm not surprised that the gas Q has quite a following here. It's a great product.

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 05:20:23 PM »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »
What did you think of it?

They are so "non-Weber", I don't know what to think of them. Based on the fact that they're out of production, I guess I'm not alone.

Here are my initial thoughts:

Pros:
Lots of cooking space 280 square inches vs CGA 160 square inches vs JJ  240
Q grates are pretty easy to maintain and leave awesome grill marks
Fairly portable
Durable cast shell
Easy to clean
Great searing machine

Cons:
Bottom vent doesn't seal off air

Jury is still out:

I haven't tried any tests on maintaining smoking temps between 220-275 but I suspect that because the bottom vent is so wonky that it may be difficult.  I'll test it out and report back.

My first cook was some simple burgers and it was great for that.

I wouldn't purchase one for anything over $75 for one in excellent shape but I could definitely see me throwing this in the back of the pickup for an instance where you're cooking for a larger group.

Just like with The Q gasser models if you scrape the grates down right after you cook and give them a light coating of oil that will last a long while. 

Weber probably discontinued it for several reasons:

It was competing with traditional kettles and much lower price point JJ and SJ lines although I'd prefer to cook on the char Q if it's a straightforward grilling session as opposed to a smoking session.  I think a lot has to do with my affinity for the Q grates and the great sear marks they leave.

The other reason I'm guessing that Weber discontinued it is because of that wonky lower vent that doesn't even pretend to seal off the air. 

If you find one used I'd recommend picking it up for anything under $65 with the mindset that you're planning to use it a a steak/burger/pork direct grilling machine.

Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM